"Anna, don't let Amelia get in the way of this," I practically begged her, knitting my eyebrows together and tensing my jaw. My whole body felt like it was on fire.

"I don't know what else to do!" Anna spoke loudly, throwing her hands up in the air and leaning back against the wall, sliding down it until she was perched on the ground.

I wished that I could have joined her, but I couldn't, so instead, I made my way in front of her and tried to take her hand. She held onto mine limply though, allowing her fingers to slip out of my grasp and land back in her lap.

"Just please sleep on it," I told her, sighing. "If Amelia is the only reason you want to end things, then please just think about it. If there's anything else that is wrong with this relationship, I-"

"There's nothing else," Anna reassured me, clasping her hands together as she studied me, puffing a gust of air out of her mouth.

Nodding, I smiled sadly at her, leaning my head back and groaning, staring up at the ceiling.

"I feel like she's watching us right now," Anna spoke, her voice sounding a lot closer. I moved my head to see that she had stood up, looking down at me with a sorrowed expression. "I feel like even in here she's listening in."

"I know," I agreed, opening my arms up, releasing a sigh of contentment when Anna snuggled into my chest. She placed her chin into the crook of my neck, and I planted a kiss to the side of her head, rubbing soothing circles on her back. "She won't win. I promise you that."

"It really feels like she's going to."

I understood where Anna was coming from. It seemed Amelia was almost invincible. She had more lives than a cat.

"The warriors are on her tail, okay?"

"Are they? They said that her scent disappeared, and she popped up today without anybody knowing. I feel so unsafe, and I'm worried about everyone else."

I shook my head, cursing to myself. "I don't understand how she's able to come in and out of the town so easily and not have her scent picked up straight away. Something is going on."

"Like what?" Anna asked me, looking confused.

I shook my head, clicking my tongue. "I don't know, but I'm going to find out."

Anna released a heavy sigh, moving away from the hallway and entering the living room, flopping down on the couch and tilting her head up towards the ceiling.

"I'm not meant for this, Jared," Anna mumbled, running her hand down her face.

Shivering, I wheeled over to her, smiling sadly. "It's okay if you aren't."

Anna's words killed me, but I couldn't force her to stay with me if she didn't want to. If she believed that this wasn't right, then I would let her go, but not before fighting and proving to her just how much she meant to me.

"I'm a human," she spoke, releasing a laugh and shaking her head. "Why would your Goddess pair a human with a wolf? Why does she get to just decide to turn my life upside down like this?"

"I don't know," I responded, exhaling. "I'm sorry that you've been put in this position, Anna. I really am. I can't take the stress away from you either, and that's what's hurting most."

Anna nodded once, running her hand through her dark curly hair. "I hate this, because I care about you so much."

"I care about you too," I sighed.

Standing up, Anna moved closer to me, sitting cross legged on the floor in front of me. "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"The only person who will get hurt is Amelia," I told her, my anger bubbling up inside of me. "Next time I see her, I'm going to rip her heart out."

Anna cleared her throat, shaking her head. "You can't do that though, Jared. What if we're in public? You can't just kill her in front of humans."

"I don't care," I growled, clenching my fists. "I don't care who sees. I want to end it."

Running her tongue along the front of her teeth, my mate blew a gust of air out of her mouth, her eyes looking distant. "I just need some time. I don't want to be a part of this anymore. I just want a normal job and to have a normal life. I feel like I'm in a movie or something living someone else's life."

"Anna, you're mated to a wolf. You're life isn't going to be normal," I chuckled, wanting to lighten the mood. However, Anna didn't laugh, and I smiled sadly at her. "Look, we need to keep you safe until Amelia is dead, and then you can go and do whatever you want. You can get a job and move into a new house if that's what your heart desires, but right now it's not safe."

Anna nodded once, fiddling with her fingers nervously.

"I can't risk Amelia harming you though, so please just stick it out for now, okay?" I questioned, cocking my head and hooking my finger under Anna's chin, looking deeply into her eyes.

She stared back, suddenly dropping her gaze and pulling away from me, nodding once. "Okay, but I just need time to myself. I want to feel normal for at least a little bit."

"Of course," I told her, holding my hands up defensively. "I'll buy you a laptop and you can spend your evenings watching cringy romance movies like every other young woman."

That caused Anna to laugh, and she thanked me, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze.

"I'm going to go and have a shower. I'm sorry for shouting at you."

I scowled at her, shaking my head and letting her know it wasn't a big deal. "Don't be. Emotions are running high right now. I don't blame you."

"Thank you." Anna smiled, quickly disappearing around the corner, leaving me in the living room alone with my head in my hands.

Could I never catch a break?

•••

They're growing closer :)

Read ahead on my patreon:

patreon.com/Loveme105

The link can also be found in my bio!

Please vote if you enjoyed!