Chapter 2: Mysteries

When Lizzy finally opened her eyes, she found herself in a sterile hospital room. Her eyes were drawn to an elderly woman, whose wrinkled face exudes kindness.

She gently stroked her brow and detected the presence of a bandage. Confusion clouded her mind as she attempted to recall the events that had led up to this point, causing a dull ache to pulsate through her head.

The elderly lady's eyes flickered open, showing a warm and genuine grin. Only three teeth remained, yet they shone with perfect sweetness, warming Lizzy's heart.

"Thank God, you survived it," the woman said, her voice full of relief. The old woman's words flooded over Lizzy, calming her anguish and bewilderment.

"I am Mrs. Caira," the elderly lady introduced herself. "And how about you?"

Lizzy smiled as she replied, "I am Elizabeth, but you can call me Lizzy."

She marveled at the beauty she discovered in this unexpected encounter, in the resilience of the human spirit that transcended age and circumstance.

The elderly woman's comments weighed heavy on Lizzy's heart, and she could see the weight of her grief mirrored in Mrs. Caira's bowed spirit. She listened closely as the elderly lady told her about her involvement in the awful incident.

"My house is just a few miles away from yours," Mrs. Caira explained. "I had parked in front of your house a few days ago, and today, while taking my usual stroll, I was looking forward to visiting your house because the caretaker mentioned you were a sweet lady when handing me the key to my own home, and I was looking forward to meeting you."

Her voice trembled as she described the moment she noticed the flames engulfing Lizzy's house. "I immediately requested a bystander to call the fire department; thankfully, they arrived in time, but..." Mrs. Caira's voice trailed off, her worry visible on her wrinkled face.

Lizzy's curiosity drove her to inquire, "But what?"

Mrs. Caira's face took on a solemn expression. "I'm afraid you won't be able to walk for a while," she said, her concern clear in her voice.

Lizzy finally saw her bandaged leg at that point. Her heart fell as she realized what had happened. Her eyes welled up with tears, ready to spill over. Mrs. Caira, however, intervened with a calm reassurance before her grief devoured her.

"Oh, poor thing! Don't cry," the elderly lady advised quietly. "I made some cupcakes that I'm sure you'd enjoy; everyone loves Caira's treats."

Lizzy's eyes widened in surprise as she received the unexpected offer of consolation. She couldn't help but reciprocate Mrs. Caira's smile, exposing her adorable dimples.

"You remind me of my late princess," Mrs. Caira said, her voice tinged with nostalgia.

"You have a daughter?" Lizzy inquired, her curiosity peeking.

"Yes, I had a daughter," Mrs. Caira said, her voice laced with sadness. "But she's gone now; I lost my entire family in an environmental disaster in Stockholm a few years ago, and I moved here to forget the painful memories."

Lizzy felt a surge of emotion rush over her, her heart going out to the elderly lady. "Hard luck," she sighed, her voice filled with real empathy, finding relief in her bond with Mrs. Caira. They were both tragedy survivors, tied together by the weight of their separate losses.

Lizzy found herself cherishing the unexpected company that had arisen from the ashes of her misery at the time. Mrs. Caira, she knew, was a kindred spirit partner who understood the depths of grief and the resilience required to reconstruct a shattered existence.

A female doctor entered the room while Lizzy sat on the hospital bed, lost in the warmth of Mrs. Caira's affection, causing a dramatic shift in the mood. The doctor greeted Lizzy with a friendly grin, noting her awakening.

"You've woken up? That's fantastic news," the doctor said, her voice reassuring. "Let me check your pulse rate."

Before starting, the doctor carefully examined Lizzy to ensure that she was stable. She scribbled some notes on her clipboard and drafted a prescription. When the doctor handed it to Mrs. Caira, she assumed she was Lizzy's grandma.

"Here are her medications," the doctor remarked, her voice gentle. "She may require some time to walk, but everyone is different, and she may recover sooner than expected."

Mrs. Caira accepted the pills and nodded appreciatively, grateful for the advice. The doctor then gave her the discharge papers and crutches.

"These are the crutches she'll be using in the interim," the doctor stated, her voice soothing and serene.

Lizzy stayed calm despite being engulfed in Mrs. Caira's love. She didn't cry or yell in frustration at her situation. Lizzy slowly rose, relying on the crutches for support, with the doctor's help. Each step brought a wave of anguish, forcing her to yell, but the doctor offered advice, instructing her on how to move with caution.

An unexpected breeze swept through the room, lifting the fabric of Lizzy's medical gown and showing her fair-toned skin as she strained with the weight on her legs. Mrs. Caira was drawn to an inscription of Akim's name tattooed on her left leg among the exposed skin.

"The mark," Mrs. Caira said softly. "Is that your lover?"

Lizzy's eyes brightened with delight as Akim was mentioned. "Yes, that's Akim, my fiancé!" she exclaimed.

A peculiar feeling passed between the doctor and Mrs. Caira, but before Lizzy could investigate more, the female doctor quickly intervened, diverting her attention.

"You need to rest," the doctor urged, changing the subject. "You should stay indoors for a few days to aid in the healing process."

Lizzy dismissed her concerns, believing the doctor was referring to her leg, assuring her that she had been through worse. Unbeknownst to her, the doctor's remarks had a secret significance that she had yet to uncover.

As they walked out of the hospital, Lizzy relied on the doctor's assistance to get to a waiting taxi. Mrs. Caira expressed her gratitude with a wave and words of thanks when the doctor graciously paid the fare.