Chapter 2

2013, Buckingham Palace, London

SETTING HIS FOOT on the magnificent Buckingham Palace, Kevin can never be out of place. It seems like the place was made for him. He’s like a prince walking down the wide hallway only if he’s not wearing a suit similar to the palace’s staff. He disguises as one of those elite servants and the higher-ups unbelievably allow that.

A group of beautiful people from the fashion industry are having rehearsals at the courtyard. It is part of the queen’s 80th birthday and a lot of important guests are expected to grace the event.

Roaming around the palace, he ends up at the courtyard. The fashion people are leaving the place one by one. A guy in a black suit swiftly passed by him and an ear-breaking voice from his left side snaps the sense of rationality he always has.

“Your queen will die.”

His arm moves in an auto-pilot as he recognized the voice. It is him. He can never be wrong with his voice. Carlos owns that distinct Mexican accent.

His arm hit nothing. All ready in his combat stance and his senses in full alert, he analyzes the location of his opponent.

“What the hell is that man doing, charging that kind of attack?” a man who is in charge of production screams in horror. The small crowd feels the strength sliced through air from the force when he moved his arm once.

“Ask help from the Palace Police,” the prod guy yells and begs for anyone who can hear his plea.

He spots the guy in the black suit a small span away from him. He can be that far in a matter of seconds. The props around the area are a perfect weaponry for his improvisation, yet he will not waste time using them all. One is enough to get his attention back at him.

He sends a woman flying towards his target, and the man in the black suit catches the poor woman smoothly. The act is a candid scene one may get to see in a circus. A beautiful lady elegantly flying in the air and be saved by a dashing lad is a spectacular scene one may never get to see in this age.

The remaining people shriek in horror and terror is written on their faces. Some run and they stumble and fall, they barely stand no matter what.

The lad bids goodbye as he blows kisses to the terrified damsel after his heroic catch.

“What kind of show are you trying to pull?” The eyes of the man are hidden from his pursuer.

“That’s the same thing I want to ask you.”

The air around them becomes thick, the humidity level increases. The hidden sun appears and strikes its scorching lights right where they stand, as if time stops and breathing is suspended. Their eyes burn as they weigh the strength of their opponents.

“I’ll take her away from you, Kevin.” His words pour a bucket of ice on him.

“You will never have her.” He retaliated Carlos’ threat.

“She won’t, in her own free will, but I can always improvise.”

“Why don’t you just die?” He gnashes his teeth like an untamed lion. He doesn’t like what Carlos tries to imply. Using force against her is something he will never allow to happen.

“Brother, I was just kidding. I won’t ever hurt her. You know what she means to me.” The smirk on his face never leaves. Though he smiles, the bitterness is apparent.

“Then, why don’t you just return to the base and stop this chasing act.” He rants at him like an unruly child who lost his temper.

“I can’t. I turned my back a long time ago, and there’s no way I can go back.” His smile fades, replaced by sadness as the memories of them together flashes before him.

“The rest of the team would definitely understand if only you’ll explain everything that happened. You can always come back, Carlos.”

“You haven’t change Kevin. You’re still the same brother with a soft heart I got to grow up with.” He chuckles as if the idea is insane.

“Margaux and I will back you up. I’m positive everything will turn out fine if we talk to the team.” He pleads like it’s the last he asks of him, but Carlos only responds with a faint smile and his eyes are a reflection of hidden sorrow all this time.

Their bodies relax as they talk about the past only them can understand. There is still fear around them from the remaining witnesses of their little journey to the past. The fire that was about to take over them subsides as the tension on their faces is replaced by the real intentions of their hearts.

“You know what they do with the likes of me. They might even grind me to pieces because of betr—”

“Stop! Don’t say that. You never did that. That was a call of duty and it happened because it was meant to happen.”

“What if she learned what I did? What we did?”

Kevin shivers in fear as Carlos reminds him of what happened with General Dela Cruz, Margaux’s father. Their sense of duty led them to something terrifying and unimaginable. The guilt still haunts them and that is the one thing they never wanted to share with Margaux.

“She’s stronger now. I am hoping she can handle the truth once she learns about it.”

Taken aback, Carlos never expects those words from Kevin. But if he thinks Margaux can face the horror of the past act like they did, then it is better if the truth comes from them.

“That’s the man. He is causing commotion in this place and he’s picking a fight with my model,” the prod guy shrieks as the Palace Police arrive. “Get that guy!” he insisted and pointed at Kevin.

Interrupted by the scream of the prod guy, they put an end to their heartwarming reunion. The fashion people have their eyes on Kevin as the instigator of fear in them. They throw things at him as the culprit runs away from the claws of the Palace Police.

“Until next time, little brother...”