Chapter 7

WE HAVE TO abort this mission,” Kevin declares as he packed his clothes and the tracking devices they set up in their suite.

“Of course we have to. We were totally played by some crazy bastards.” Margaux who is simultaneously packing her clothes shivers at the thought of the men in black suits.

“The headquarters didn’t even validate the intel. Our lives were taken for granted.” He hisses at the thought.

“It would be better to talk some senses to your father. I already asked my manager to book a flight for us ASAP,” Carlos says as he amusingly observes the rattled creatures.

2013, Manila, Philippines

FLYING BACK TO the Philippines is the best option they can have. They need clarity in the tight situation they are in. Who would set them up and be killed by the other ESAF 44 Survivors?

They boarded a flight just like Carlos said. Being a celebrity can come in handy in sticky situations like this.

“You knew this all along and you just played with it. You are the jerkiest of them all.”

“You’re fun to watch,” Carlos says, idly.

“This kind of things doesn’t allow you to have fun.” Kevin wants to knock some sense out of him.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“You’re a sadist. How could you?” Margaux who has been observing the two dumb guys blurts out. Carlos gets to her nerves.

“How can you have fun when you know we are in danger? Is that why you left the team, to watch us stake our lives on the line while you enjoy the limelight and live a crazy life? You really have a death wish.”

Carlos remains speechless. His sly smile has gone to a place and only him knows where.

“Margaux stop. You’ve said too much.” Kevin tries to rest the rants bombarding his friend. She has a point, but leaving the team isn’t a decision Carlos made for a selfish reason.

He wanted atonement for his sin, that day he let his comrade die for saving her. The day he made that decision but regretted it for the fact that he gave up both Margaux and the rest of the team. It was an easy way out. Let the rest be killed and left her to be saved by him, Kevin. He agreed to his plan and chose her life over the lives of the others.

Taking refuge in a hotel room rented by Carlos himself, they secure themselves from any attack.

“They’re here,” Carlos warns them suddenly.

“Right on time, bastard.” The door bangs and spits up men in a black suit. The same men they encountered at the Buckingham Palace.

It has just been a few hours since they arrived and their pursuers already found out their location.

The room feels claustrophobic as she stands with the other ESAF survivors and their eyes gaze at one another. The incident that brought them all together came rushing unto her like raging waves crushing huge rocks on its path.

She was supposed to die that day. Being a hostage of the The Red Sun was a mistake she should have never let happened; she was a trained soldier, yet an incompetent one and that led to the fall of her team.

The pain she feels because of the sudden rush of some forgotten memories is not comparable to what the woman in the black suit endures for quite a while.

Breaking hearts are what she sees from her former colleagues, their teammates stand in front of her. How can they hunt them as if they are the enemies?

“I thought you’re dead,” Margaux stares blankly. Seeking for answers, she turns to Kevin and Carlos, but they don’t intend to meet her eyes. Their eyes keep on wandering around as if they are trying to find something missing.

“You’re the one who is supposed to be dead, if it isn’t for these traitors.” The woman in black suit accuses her with such contempt. Her eyes transcend pain to her heart. They pierce it, and stab it like she had caused so much pain to her.

“Cass...” she beseeches.

“Don’t say my name like you’re a good friend of mine.” She feels disgusted.

“Stop talking non-sense and let’s just kill this bitch.” The man in black suit exudes equal contempt as Cass towards Margaux.

In a split second, a 45 caliber gun grazes her temple. The two men on her sides stumble down from the hits coming from John.

“Cass, no, please don’t be like this,” she pleads.

“You plead now just like how you did before.”

“You’re a one lucky bitch to have the general as your father. But me, no matter how much I cried for help that day no one ever came. I was left behind while you live your life in peace.”

“You didn’t have to hit me, John. I was the one who helped you stay alive.” Carlos stands up as he rubs the side of his face that has been hit.

“Sorry, I got carried away. But it was refreshing, I’ve always wanted to hit you.” He snickers at him.

“Bastard. I’m aware of that, but you know I’ve got a face value to maintain.” His vanity always comes before anything.

“My bad, and that won’t happen again.” Sarcastic, he apologizes.

“Yeah, right. But how many times have you apologized for hitting me again?”

The two men talk as if they are still comrades. Kevin who tries to recover from the hit shoots up straight as he recognizes the buddy-buddy talk they’ve always had with John.

“Cass, put down the gun. The show is over,” Carlos commands her as he holds her arm gently.

Margaux breathes out a sigh of relief, but Carlos giving orders to the woman who just pointed a gun on her temple is much of a frightening thought.

“What’s happening, Carlos?” Kevin pops out the question Margaux can’t even utter.

The situation turns upside down, and silence embraces them as their only comfort. Though they are shaken, that won’t stop them from getting answers.

“Did you plan—”

“Margaux, let’s cut the drama of this cliché revelation.” John who’s a bit irritated blurts out. “Carlos, the crazy guy, wants you both in The Red Sun.”