Chapter 8

KEVIN AND CARLOS were also there, that day she became hostage of The Red Sun. And she has an idea on what Carlos plans to do, but it never occurred to her that his plan would materialize. She thought it was all just a play, so they would release her. But she was wrong. Carlos wants them in, in for something treacherous.

2011, Marawi City, Philippines

THE HUMIDITY OF the atmosphere affects her, she feels sticky. Her arms hurt as she tries to loosen the ties around her wrists. Sitting on an old armchair, she barely recognizes some doodles on the desk. Those bastards use the school as their hideout. Her blood boils thinking they hurt or killed students and teachers for the sake of this worthless revolution.

"Look at what we have here. The princess has finally woken up." The voice seems familiar. She looks around and finds the source. Their eyes lock, anger shoots up as she recognizes the man who is all smiling like a crazy maniac despite the tragedy brought about by the revolution against the government.

"So how was it? Did you enjoy this charade of war?" His smile never leaves his pretty face.

"Go to hell!" she snarls at him.

"Fierce as always, princess." He leans down, so they are face to face. He smells her, sniffing her fragrance as if she is a flower, a wasted flower, though. His cheek gently touches hers. His scent stings her nostrils, his soft skin brushing her face is a relief despite her brain's rejection to the stimulus.

"Carlos, stop..." A blinding light strikes and another familiar voice comes from behind him. He seems irritated. He kicks Carlos lightly on his leg. He giggles upon receiving the guy's playful hit.

"Don't get jealous, bro. I just wanna feel her while you're gone. You know how much I want her." He grins at him candidly as if what he says isn't offending or worse, threatening.

"Then stop your perversion, you know I won't let you." He steps forward and moves him aside. He leans down to level with her eyes. Pools of water are about to gush out of her eyes upon recognizing the man in front of her.

"Kevin, it is really you. Thank God!" She yelps as relief floods her whole system. It's not like they have already broken away from the hands of the terrorists, but it is a nice thing to know that Kevin is with her. If only her arms aren't tied back to the chair, she would have hugged him, tight. So tight he won't be able to breathe.

"Don't cry, baby. We'll get through this." He reassures her while the fair skin of her wrists are almost wounded. The rope is tied so tight, and the pain transcends just by looking at it.

"These are tears of joy. I'm just glad you're here."

He kisses her, trying to melt away the fear she's constraining within. He cares less on what Carlos might do about his aggressiveness. He devours her lips and she satisfies her thirst by reciprocating his pace. They share that sweet time despite the treachery of the moment.

"Do you wanna die both? Here. Now." It is a threat.

They let go of their lips gently and stare at him who has a wicked grin on his face. He looks happy despite the irritation that is very evident because he sounds like it.

"I thought you're gonna proceed despite my warning." He clicks his tongue thinking it's such a waste. It is a challenge he thought the two would take on.

"We're not crazy as you are, traitor." Her words are sharp as always. "We know when to stop, when we have to and be a rational being."

"Yeah, right! And flirt with one another in this abnormal situation. You're no different from him." Cass who has been quite forgiving bursts out. The two lovers get on her nerve.

"I'd like to see them go all the way. It's kind of stimulating seeing them." John, on the other hand, seems to be enjoying the show in front of them.

"Pervert!"

Behind her, Cass and John are both tied upside down. They are covered with blood, both fresh and old. There are bruises on their faces, arms and legs.

Horrified with how her teammates turn out, Margaux seeks for Carlos.

"Bastard, what did you do them?" Her dreadful gaze won't affect him.

"What? I was trying to convince them to join The Red Sun. Father wants some new blood in our team," he says candidly without any hint of guilt.

"You're not trying to convince them. You are torturing them, forcing them to do something they don't want to do."

Kevin stands by her. Beseeching the same answers from Carlos, he gazes at him not for hate, but because he wants to understand him.
"Lucky you, that crazy bastard didn't hang and torture you like this." Cass sounds so bitter as if life has been unfair throughout her lifetime on earth.

"Let them down. Tie me instead," Margaux insisted.

"What for? Is it for atoning your sin of being a worthless team leader, satisfying the guilt that has been eating you up? If it wasn't for your father, you won't have that favorable treatment up to this point."

"Hey, Cass! Don't be so harsh on my Margaux. It's not her fault that she's the daughter of Father." Carlos lulls her like a little sister he never had.

"Maniac!" Cass yells at him.

"Fa-father?" She stutters.

Kevin seems to be well informed about it. His face is devoid of any disbelief.

"Does that mean General Dela Cruz is behind this?" John who draws conclusion Carlos' careless statement hit the bull's eye.

"No-that can't be possible." She denies the truth plated for her.

"You heard him right, my dear Margaux." Carlos is so casual with all this revelation. He is like a plant with no heart.

"No! It can't be." Horror is written all over her face. "Kevin, they're wrong, right? Dad won't do this kind of betrayal." But, he just looks at her with guilt and pain.