Chapter 10

2015, Makati City, Philippines

"THAT TASKER GUY! So he's the one who shot me and left me at the front of the hospital."

"Yep. That's my brother, and your ex-fiancé." Carra sounds so apologetic as she treats my wound.

"And you're not really a psychiatrist?" And now I suspect everyone is lying to me.

"Of course, I am."

"But how come you're able to treat my gunshot?"

"I double majored, remember?"

Some memories might be stuck in traffic or still buffering in making their way back to my brain. All the memories related to that guy bring pain to my heart. How could he just point a gun and realistically shoot me back then?

And I still can't believe that the bullet from the crazy woman hit the same spot where Kevin shot me two years ago. That might have triggered the return of my missing memories.

"I hope you'll get better soon. And I'm really sorry that we didn't tell you the truth and everything about you. Kevin asked us not to do so, and he said it was for your safety so we did as we were told. It's been hard for you, but don't get mad at my brother. I know he has his reasons why he did things," she explains, and tries her best to convince me that her brother is truly innocent of the sins he committed against me.

"Like pointing the gun at me and pulling the trigger?" Deadpan, I try to ignore the pity that's about to take me over.

"You didn't die. Look, you're still with us." She's right, but still he didn't trust me that we could get out of there together. He didn't have to make unnecessary sacrifices.

"Sometimes sacrifices must be made." His voice pops out in that private room, but that's not what I'm trying to prove.

We're at the hospital owned by none other than his family, the Taskers. Well, not really, her sister owns it and run by his family.

"No one is asking your opinion, bastard."

"Until when are you gonna keep that attitude towards me?" He yaps from the other bed. I prefer us divided by a white cloth, so I won't see his handsome-stupid face.

"Until you die..." Uttering those words, my voice croaks.

"I almost died earlier and that scares you to death. You sure you want me dead?" He teases her as if he is forgiven.

"I guess both of you need some time to talk it over." Carra places the last treatment needed for my wound as she bids goodbye

"No, don't leave me alone with this guy." My teary eyes are a silent plea, but Carra denies me. She knows Kevin and I need to talk things over.

Kevin didn't argue with his sister. Maybe, this is also what he wants, some time to start over where we left.

Silence comes after Carra left. The small room feels claustrophobic as the clock ticks. Every second seems too long. I feel awkward and unsure of what to do.

"Margaux-"

"Kevin-"

We called out one another in unison. Timing is perfect whenever we yearn for each other.

"You go first..." I suggest.

"No, you talk first," he insisted.

"Are you sure?" I ask, giving him another chance to speak first.

"Yup. Ladies first." He seems confident.

"Okay." I inhale. Then exhale. Preparing for a non-stop rant, I took a deep breath. "Bastard, how could you shoot me and leave me alone? I was so lonely for the past two years. I feel pain and sadness without knowing the real reasons behind them. I tried to live alone thinking I must be crazy feeling this unfathomable sorrow. There were moments I'd like to end my life just to stop the pain. But there's a voice inside me, it's persistent. It keeps on telling me that I should live, that there's hope, there's light despite the darkness. And now there you are, you're here. Alive." Tears are gushing out after ranting. I cry and cry at the top of my lungs. Then, I hear the bed creaks. He crawls toward me. He feels closer, the heat from him is an assurance that he's alive and kicking. He hushes me, while his arms surround me.

"Sorry..." The only word he can utter after my non-stop ranting, he sounds regretful and apologetic just by saying that single word.

"Why didn't you trust me? I told you, you didn't have to join them."

"I'm sorry. I really am." He embraces me tightly, and plants soft kisses on top of my head. Our eyes haven't met since I started ranting. "That won't happen again. I will make sure I am stronger this time around."

"We are now. I won't let Cass, John, Carlos and even Dad do whatever please them-or anyone."

Gently, he leads me down on the bed. I cringe in pain as I move with his pacing. His wound makes him a little uncomfortable as he barely moves on the mattress. Thank God, at least, it feels comfortable as we rest our wounded bodies.

I rest my head on his strong arms. His scent never changed, his gray eyes mesmerize me. He gazes at me intently as our eyes lock in unison.

"How's your wound?" I ask, not leaving his eyes.

"That lady almost killed my happiness. I thought I got hit down there," he chuckles, those little sounds I missed so much.

I giggle, knowing exactly the happiness he is pertaining to. "I thought so too. I was alarmed when I saw blood on your pants."

"Thank God, the bullet only hit my thigh." Relief floods the room, it exudes exaggeration of how thankful he is.

I wince in pain as I restrain myself from laughing too hard, just as he does. And we are aware that this kind of peace we have right now is a premonition of the hostilities that's about to plague the country anytime soon.

He hugs me tight and kisses my forehead as if it is our last day on earth.

"Margaux..." His tone becomes serious and I look up to meet his eyes. Those beautiful gray eyes.

"Yes?" I regard him gently.

"We'll try to stop the war. Right, Margaux?"

"I think so..." I say playfully.

"Hmm...?" His brows shoot up with my remark. He giggles and brushes his nose with mine. "Aren't we, Margaux?"

"Of course we will, Kevin!" I promise him and kiss him softly. He beams at me and chases the lips that just stole a kiss from his lips.