Chapter 6

IT WAS THE most awaited day of everyone who’s fond of the Royal family. The queen’s 80th birthday was celebrated with grandeur and elegance. Attended by famous, powerful, wealthy and significant personalities from the different parts of the world, the Buckingham Palace was really a place of finery and sophistication.

Margaux sits at the farthest table from the queen, but enough to see every path that has access to the queen, as one of the security personnel in disguise.

“The queen seems to be having fun.” Margaux jerks, and it feels like the voice is too close. Whoever is behind her surely breathes in uncomfortable proximity.

“Yes, she is. It’s a celebration for her after all,” she responds casually, trying to shake off any sign of discomfort.

The man pulls the empty seat beside her, the one Kevin left behind.

“I mean you, Margaux. You’re having fun as if there’s no danger that’s been lurking around you.”

She just stares at him blankly, gauging any clarity she can get out of his blank expression.

“Those two in black suits are just waiting for a signal to start the plan and pluck you out of this regal landscape.”

“I don’t get what you mean. It’s the queen who’s in danger.”

“You are the queen. At least that’s how everyone sees you at the camp since you’re a grown-up now. You’re not the little princess we used to tease and the one who gets mad at us because of our shenanigans.” A smile crosses his face as if the memory is a precious thing he holds so dear, but not for too long. In a split second, he strips away any fondness his face has.

“You’re crazy, Carlos.” Her constraint voice has covered her from any disruptions she can induce to the event.

“Yes, I am. Crazy for loving you.” Then, he kissed her, that gentle touch he wants to do to her.

It was an attack she never expects from him. Not from Carlos. Never. He’s like a brother to him.

She breaks free from the kiss. Leaning back, she stares at him with confusion written on her face.

“Fuck! What would you do that for?” She rubs her lips, struggling, as if the kiss will disappear. Stuck between looking pale and embarrassed, she’s a goner.

He snickers as he indulges himself with the effect he has on her. She’s shaken as if blood drains out from her face.

“I wonder what Kevin will do to me if I told him that I just kissed you.” He laughs, then stops remembering the formal event where he is.

Pools of water appear on her eyes as she tries to fight the burst of emotion he is trying to get out of her. She bites her lips, constraining the cry that wants to break out.

“No, don’t bite your lips. It would hurt my pride if you show me how you hated that kiss from me.” Sarcasm always fits him and sometimes it’s hard for her to follow his fast paced shifts of emotions.

She gazes at him in horror. Bastard. That’s the only name she can think of.

“You’re a dead meat,” she warns him, but he regards her lightly.

Though she looks at him with contempt, it’s the other way around for him. He likes it when she’s so fired up as if nothing can escape unscathed if someone is in her way.

“Don’t make fun of me, you jerk!”

“What can I do? You’re a delight to my eyes,” he giggles, void of any sarcasms.

She hisses as if she’s a snake that wants to strangle the twisted man who has been trashing the beauty of the royal event. But her face softens as soon as she catches a glimpse of Kevin. He runs to her.

“He returns,” he announces knowing exactly who brings that soft expression on her face. There’s only one and it’s him. Kevin.

“Leave, Carlos,” she pleads.

“Come on, Margaux. We have to leave, now!” He tugs her away from Carlos.

“I can’t. He’s the one who has to leave.” She pertains to Carlos.

Their eyes meet, and they know what’s really happening. They rush towards the double door as if it’s the only escape they have.

“We were misled,” he declares while he runs and out of breath, and she’s speechless.

“Yes, you were.” Carlos has that grin on his face as he rubs salt on Kevin’s wound. He mastered it already. And no doubt, he gets pleasure from it.

“You knew it all along, you bastard.” He stops from running.

Carlos nods as if the matter isn’t a big deal. They all stop running in the middle of the road.

“Then why didn’t you tell me.” He feels infuriated knowing Margaux is in danger and Carlos seems to get his fun out of it.

“I told you. I kept on telling you. Remember the naked picture of you and Margaux I sent to you. And I warned you both she will die,” he says casually as he points his index finger at her.

Shocked with the naked picture he just mentioned and totally forgotten that she might die, she eyes Kevin, intently demanding for explanation.

“It was a picture taken when we were kids, Margaux,” he explains, exasperated. But she seems dissatisfied. “And why were you running away with us again, Carlos?” He turns to him, interrogating the bastard he has always been.

“I’m on your side, bro.” That ecstatic smile never leaves his face. This is the thrill and he is so addicted with it.

“With all those vague warning you gave us, you’re telling us you’re on our side? Don’t fuck with me,” Margaux bursts out. She’s confused and been wanting to strangle Carlos, but no. It will be a waste to lose a hottie like him.

“Hell! I do want to,” Carlos says, candidly.
With killing intent, they both send darts through their eyes to him. His jokes might get him somewhere bad one of these days.

“Kidding.” He takes it back right away.