Mum patted his shoulder reassuringly. "Don't worry about it, darling. I'm sure he's going to be okay."

"Yeah, right," I muttered under my breath, causing her to send me a warning look, which I just brushed off.

Troy and mum started making dinner together after that while Gemma stood up and grabbed my arm, pulling me aside. "Can I have a word with you?" She asked, looking at me expectantly.

"Sure," I said, taking her with me to the living room so we could be alone and not bothered by the two adults. "What did you want to talk about?" I asked, sitting down on the beige leather couch.

She sat down beside me, letting out a deep breath. "The Louis you were friends with two years ago is the same Louis as this one, right?"

I nodded slowly. "Yeah," I said as if this was the first time it really dawned on me that Louis Tomlinson was actually my stepbrother now. We would have to live under the same roof for at least a few months, until I turned eighteen. But I knew myself, and I was quite sure I wouldn't be too willing to leave my mother that soon. It wouldn't surprise me if I stayed another year or so even if Louis still lived here.

"How do you feel about that? I mean, you aren't on such good terms now, right?" She grimaced, remembering what I said just last week when I had come home from school and complained about him picking on me all the time, and also just a few minutes ago when she witnessed it in real life.

Shaking my head, I let out a sigh. "I haven't even processed it fully yet. It's quite hard to get your head around the fact that he's going to live here since I pictured my new stepbrother being a completely different person. I definitely don't like it, that's for sure. I'm not even sure how I'm going to be able to live with it. What if it'll get even worse now?"

She gave me a small smile. "Don't think like that, H. Besides, I'm going to be around here all the time, yeah? If you can't handle it, I'm going to make sure he doesn't do anything, alright?"

Flashing her an appreciating smile, I shook my head. "I'm sure I'll be fine. I haven't had any trouble with it before. It still just pains me sometimes that he could turn his back on me like that when we were such good friends. I don't even know what happened. All of a sudden he just downright hated me," I sighed, running a hand through my curls.

"Maybe he had a reason, though? I don't know, I'm just trying to see it out of his perspective. I mean, people usually do have a reason for their actions," she suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

I hated it when she had a point in what she said. What if Louis actually did have a reason for doing what he did to me? But if so, what had I done? I couldn't remember anything I did wrong. He was the one who had stopped attending our meetings, not the other way around. "I don't know, Gem. It will forever be a mystery to me," I sighed, giving up on ever finding out the real reason already. It wasn't like Louis would start talking to me and explaining things even if we were somewhat stepbrothers now. I was sure it wouldn't change a thing.

"I have said it before, and I'm going to say it again. Whenever you find the right opportunity, just take the chance and talk to him, okay? I know he might not want to, but we both know that's the only way you guys are ever going to get on good terms again."

"But that's the thing, Gemma! I don't even want to be on good terms with him. I hate him just as much as he hates me, and I'm fine with that. Sure, we might have to live under the same roof for a couple of months, but then I will be gone and we hopefully won't ever have to face each other again," I said, raising my voice an octave.

"Well," she muttered, rolling her eyes. "Then I don't know what to say. I wish you luck, though, brother, because you'll certainly need it. Just remember that you can always come to me if you ever want to talk about it, okay? I know pretty much everything that's happened between the two of you, so I'm sure I could help you out with whatever is bothering you."