Ch 22

Three days later....

Royal garden.
———————————

"I hear we'll be staying for king Arthur's celebration."

Lancelot snapped out of his gaze and turned to the sound of the voice. Princess Guinevere was with him, allowing him to escort her through the garden. King Leondegrance wouldn't normally allow just anyone to escort his daughter, but Guinevere and Lancelot became close friends over the years.

"Of course." Lancelot responded as they looked at the roses and other flowers as they passed by. Guinevere had grown in the past few years, her body becoming that of a lovely young maiden. "I hear the other kings will remain attend as well to pledge their fealty for all too see."

"I spoke with my father about attending the party myself." Lancelot tilted his head upon Guinevere's statement.

"I thought you disliked parties?" He questioned.

"I do." Guinevere giggled into her hand. "However, I figured I could set aside my preferences to honor King Arthur's victory. It's not every day that a prince reclaims his kingdom, it'll be quite a historical moment for centuries to come."

"Well I can see why many would wish to attend." Lancelot spoke as he continued walking. It took approximately five seconds for Lancelot to resize that Guinevere stopped. The handsome knight looked back in concern. "M'lady?"

"Father told me I could choose my escort." Lancelot felt his heart skip a beat. The princess smiled at Lancelot with a blush. "I was wondering if you'd—"

"I would be honored." Guinevere took a step back as Lancelot bowed on his knee. He slowly stood back up, years of being taught by the maids who served his family were drilled into his very soul.

"I—good!" Guinevere giggled as Lancelot stood up. "If you hadn't agreed, I would be forced to ask someone else."

"Like who?" He asked, generally curious. The princess smirked playfully before spinning around and taking small steps back towards the castle.

"Mr Guts of course!"

Lancelot watched the princess walk away, trying to comprehend what she just said. The humming coming from Guinevere answered his unspoken question. He quickly followed after the smaller lady, his eyes slightly widened.

"Guts?" Lancelot spoke, hiding the disbelief in his voice. "Why Guts? He wouldn't attend the party even if you ask him....... And most ladies actually avoid him, believe it or not."

"Oh I could think of a few. Those shoulders being one reason." Guinevere giggled as she brought her hands up and squeezed the imaginary shoulders. The face Lancelot made caused Guinevere to nearly die laughing. "But in all seriousness, he just looks........normal. Most men I've met have been nothing but wealthy men trying to wed me for personal gain...........but Mr Guts is different. He doesn't play any word games, trick good people into doing something bad, or even commit adultery. Sure, he can be angered easily, but he doesn't look like the type to hurt someone defenseless."

"Huh." Lancelot nodded as Guinevere spoke. She spoke truth, Guts has never harmed a lady. Well, except Mordred and Merlin, but those were two separate things. With a smirk, Lancelot looked forward. "I'll make sure to tell him."