Chapter 11

My entire body flushes crimson when the realization kicks into my brain that his family are in the same room with us.

"They do not care, love," Logan whispers into my ear, trying to reassure me, but I flick my eyes toward his family.

His parents' attention is focused on the kids' show that is on the television, but Shelbie is watching us, and I murmur to Logan about this.

"She is just curious, love," he murmurs. "I have never brought home a person I am dating."

"Oh, so I am the first?" I ask for clarification, and I am a little surprised at this new information,.

"Yes, you are, baby boy," he confirms, moving his head back slightly to place a soft kiss on my forehead.

Laying my head on his shoulder, and we fall into comfortable silence as we watch the show that is playing.

"Are you boys hungry or thirsty?" Mrs. Noble asks at the end of the episode.

"Yes, please," Logan says, tapping me on the thighs lightly for me to stand up. "We will get it ourselves though, mom."

Logan slips his hands into mine, leading me into the kitchen as he asks; "What would you like, love?"

"Not anything heavy, boys. Dinner will be done in forty-five minutes," Mrs. Noble says from the living room.

"Okay, mom," Logan agrees, and he grabs us each a bottle of water, and small individual bag of cookies. "Let's sit at the table."

He pulls out a chair for me, and pushes this back in for me before sitting down across from me, and we start eating our snack.

"Logan?" Shelbie asks softly as she gently taps him on the arm.

"Yes, Shelbie?" he answers with a big smile down at his little sister.

"He is your boyfriend?" she asks, looking over at me curiously as she climbs onto Logan's lap, and faces me as she looks intently at me now.

"Yes, Braelin is my boyfriend," Logan confirms with a bright smile at her then me along with a wink.

"Cool," Shelbie says, and she does not seem fazed by the fact that her brother is dating a boy, and that he is a boy, too.

Shelbie stays with us until we are done eating, and Logan and I have shared some of the cookies with her. An hour later, the five of us are gathered around the table to have dinner, which is lasagna and salad with milk or water to drink.

"So, Braelin, how old are you? Logan told us you are in his grade, so I assume you are the same age as him," Mr. Noble asks.

"Um, no, Sir," I nervously answer, already thinking the worst. "I am sixteen. I skipped a grade."

"Do not let him fool you, dad," Logan states with a fond smile toward me. "He should have skipped two grade, but he and his mom decided he should only skip one."

"Did your father not have an opinion on that matter?" Mrs. Noble asks with curious eyes.

"No, Ma'am," I answer. "He, um, he left my mama when she told him about being pregnant with me."

"Oh dear, I am so sorry for asking, Braelin," Mrs. Noble breathes with a worried expression.

"That is okay, Mrs. Noble," I assure with a weak smile. "You did not know."

"What is your plans for after graduation?" Mr. Noble asks, changing the subject, thankfully.

"Um, I have already been accepted into three different universities, Sir. I just have to decide which one I want to attend. I have been accepted into Columbia, Princeton, and Johns Hopkin."

"That is impressive, Braelin," Mr. Noble states, and he has awe on his face as do Mrs. Noble and Logan. "What do you want to study?"

"Um, either Pediatric Nursing, or some sort of medical research," I shyly answer.

"Man, Brae, I know you are super smart, but all of this is very impressive," Logan murmurs, placing his left hand on my thigh with a gentle squeeze.

I though he would move his hand after this, but he leaves his hand resting on my thigh.

My cheeks warm as I murmur; "Thank you, Logan. What are your plans?"

"I am going for business, so I can work with dad, and eventually take over the company when he is ready," he answers with a smile. "I am not sure where I am going to apply to yet."

"That is really awesome, Logan!" I grin over at him with wide eyes; we continue talking with his parents and sister as we finish dinner.

"Dinner was wonderful, Mrs. Noble, and thank you," I softly tell her as the five us clean up once we have finished.

"Thank you, Braelin, and you are welcome," she sweetly answers with a smile.

From the corner of my right eye, I see Logan smiling at his mama and me. I am going to believe that he is smiling at us because he is happy that his mama and I are getting along. I find I get along with easier with mama's verses dad's because dad's scare the hell out of me. Yeah, my uncle is a father figure to me, but he is not a dad to anyone. He never wanted any children of his own. Mr. Noble kind of scares the hell out of me, but I will not admit this to Logan, or anyone else right now. Maybe one day, but not while I am staying here for the weekend. Besides, maybe over time, I will learn to be a little more comfortable with Mr. Noble, so what is the point of saying anything about my fear of him?

The five of us head into the living room to watch a movie together per their tradition for the night before Thanksgiving. They told me this is quality time for them to watch a family friendly movie, and each year a different family member chooses the movie. This year because I am the newest member of the family, I got to choose, so I nervously looked through their DVD collection of the ones that are safe for Shelbie, and picked 'Frozen.'