Day 2 part 3

Zane: "Thanks for the ride, Matt. Night, y'all."

Matt: "Night, we'll see you tomorrow."

Felix: "Night, troublemaker number 1."

Maverick: "Night, fool."

I give him the middle finger and walk home. Damn, it's already 7 PM. I didn't expect the meeting to take that long.

yawns I'm so tired.

Upon arriving at my house, I spot four boys on the last steps. I've never seen this crew before. I call out to them.

Zane: "Hey! Hey! Who the hell are y'all, and why are you packed in front of my house?"

One of the boys: "Ah, sorry. We're just waiting for Gabe. I take it you must be his brother, Zane?"

Zane: "Yeah, I am. Who are you guys?"

One of the boys: "We're the friends he hangs out with at school and outside of school."

Zane: "You're the ones he was in a hurry to play basketball with?"

Boys: "Yeah."

One of the boys: "He sucks, not gonna lie."

Zane laughs.

Zane: "I thought he would've gotten better by now after all the tips we've given him."

One of the boys laughs.

One of the boys: "Yeah, he still sucks."

Zane: "So, what are your names?"

1st boy: "Pete."

2nd boy: "Oliver."

3rd boy: "John."

4th boy: "Mason."

Zane: "Nice to meet you. Haven't seen your faces around here. Where are y'all from?"

Pete: "The west side of Galetown."

Zane: "Oh, really?"

Gabe walks out the front door, and I can see the shock on his face. Yeah, this ain't gonna slide.

Zane: "Sorry, guys. Gabe ain't going anywhere with you for the rest of the day. Why don't y'all head on home?"

Oliver: "Oh, alright, that's cool."

Pete: "Gabe, we'll see you, dawg."

Mason: "Bring your A-game tomorrow if you don't wanna get clapped."

John: "Better bring ice for them ankles tomorrow."

Gabe: "Y'all just keep dissing me. I'll pull the rug from under y'all in no time."

Zane: "Have a goodnight."

Gabe: "I thought you wouldn't be home by now."

Zane: "We need to talk. Get inside."

Gabe enters the house, and I double-check the direction the boys went just to make sure. Then I head inside.

The silence is deafening. My eyes fall on Gabe as he stands in the sitting room.

Zane: "Sit."

Gabe: "I'm fine. I prefer to stand."

Zane: "Sit."

He sits.

Zane: "I... I... I don't understand. Even if you tried to explain it to me, I wouldn't understand or agree. They are Westerners, Gabe, Westerners!".

Gabe: "I know, I know. I just thought that no-"

Zane: "No one would find out! You're joking. The walls have eyes and ears. Nothing is ever a secret here! They didn't even try to hide it. It's like they're oblivious to their surroundings. All it takes is for one of the G7s to spot you hanging around with Western pigs, and you'll be labeled a traitor!"

Gabe: "Just because they live in the western part of Galetown doesn't mean they are part of a gang."

Zane: "And how would you know that, huh?"

Gabe: "They are my friends. We don't keep secrets from each other."

Zane: "They are not your friends."

Gabe: "They are!"

Zane: "They are not! They are the enemy, and we do not associate with the enemy."

Gabe: "They might be your enemy, but they are not mine!"

Zane: "What?!"

Gabe: "Yeah, you heard me. They are your enemy; they are not mine. Ever since Mom's been hospitalized, the only thing you've done is dictate my actions. To be frank, I'm tired of it, tired of you treating me like a kid!"

Zane: "That's what you are!"

Gabe: "Says who? You?!"

Zane: "Yeah!"

Gabe: "Well, you don't make the rules. Drey and the others say I can join the ranks, but you won't let me!"

Zane: "Why would I?! Mom would kill me."

Gabe: "Mom isn't here! She's in a hospital battling cancer, and there is nothing you or I can do about it! In my book, she's already dead!"

Zane: "Do you hear yourself?! She's still alive, Gabe, and I can save her."

Gabe: "No, you can't. You will never get the money in time. And even if you got the money, the chances of her surviving the surgery are at an all-time low. Not in a country like this."

Zane: "What are you saying?"

Gabe: "Just face the music, Zane. She is going to die, and she knows it too. Just give up, brother, and accept reality."

Zane: "What are you saying? This isn't you. You've changed."

Gabe: "I haven't changed. I've just accepted reality. I took the pill, and you should too. You're not protecting me from anything. You can tell yourself that all day long, but we both know the truth."

Zane: "You say that, but you don't even believe the words coming from your mouth. Look me in the eye and tell me that Mom isn't going to survive."

Gabe: "She isn't going to survive."

Zane: "I said say it while looking me in the eye, damn it!"

With tears flowing down his eyes and a devastating punch to the wall.

Gabe: "She is not going to survive. There is no saving her. She's gone, and she is not coming back."

He storms off, and I'm just left there speechless. Somewhere within my soul, I can't help but believe his words to be true, and that scares me.