Chapter 30 - Back Down Below

Rush, Ambush, Halt, Glitch, and Spirit were now gathered in the main hall. They had equipped their weapons, magic accessories, and Ambush had his lockpicks. They were almost ready to go. Now, they just needed to find their will to go back down there.

"I must admit, I am... not looking forward to this rescue..." Glitch said, as Spirit checked everyone's gear, and Rush, Halt, and Ambush conversed in hushed tones.

"Well, we have no choice," Spirit said. "We need to save our friends from Shadow, and we're running out of time. We don't know what he could have done to them."

"I know...it's just... What if we end up captured, too? The only ones left would be Window, Screech, and Jack, and don't even get me started on Seek. Screech and Sally are just kids, and Jack lost his memory. Seek... well, he's something else entirely, but he'd never be willing to save us."

"You and I will be standing by for that reason. If Shadow were to get his hands on Rush, Ambush, and Halt, we'd take him by surprise, and hopefully give them enough time to escape," Spirit explained.

"And what if we get captured?" Glitch countered. "I don't doubt that they'd try to save us, but we know that we are the most powerful out of the group. If Shadow gets a hold of both of us, it's over."

Spirit paused, and the conversation between Rush, Ambush, and Halt silenced.

"I... I don't know. Hypothetically, we'd use our magic to defend ourselves, but..."

"I'm sorry, Spirit. I know we need to save them, but I think sending us both down there at the same time is a huge risk," Glitch said. "I have to stay up here. That way, if anything happens to you, we'll still have a chance."

Spirit sighed. "I... I understand."

"You shouldn't have to worry, though," Halt said. "We've learned from last time. We won't get caught."

"And if we do, we'll get away," Rush said with a small smile. "We learned self defence for a reason."

"Well, if I don't hear from you in a few hours, I'll see what I can do," Glitch said, before walking out of the main hall, and leaving the four of them alone.

"We can do this, guys," Ambush said, breaking the silence. "We'll just grab Timothy, Figure, and Eyes, and get out."

"We should go now," Spirit said. "We're running out of time."

"Should we at least go over the plan one more time?" Rush asked. "Just to ensure that we'll know what to do."

"Very well," Spirit said with a nod. "I'll teleport us down there, into the cell block, after we become invisible."

"I'll get to work on picking the locks, while Rush and Halt stand by the door in case Shadow comes in," Ambush said. "Spirit will be standing by in case things get really bad."

"If they do, I'll distract Shadow while you three get everyone else, and hopefully keep him compromised until you're done," Spirit said, gesturing to Halt, Rush, and Ambush.

"Then we get out of there," Halt said. "And save Hide, too, if we're able to," he added.

Spirit smiled sadly at the mention of her friend. "Correct. Now, everyone become invisible. We're going down now."

Spirit grabbed the hands of Rush and Halt, and Ambush grabbed their other ones. Each of them disappeared from view, one by one. Spirit flinched as a hand touched her shoulder, but nonetheless, concentrated on where she wanted to go.

And then they were there.

Spirit released the hands of the others, before walking over to the wall and pressing herself against it. The others disbanded as well, silently getting into their positions.