Chapter 13 - Distrust

Halt sat by Rush's bed. Rush was still recovering from Seek attacking him, but he was awake. Thankfully, Seek hadn't knocked him out, but he still caused pretty bad damage. Rush's nose was broken, and he couldn't sit up without flinching. Halt sat with Rush, his presence being enough to calm the injured one.

"Halt...?" Rush asked weakly. Apparently, during the fight, Seek had hit him a few times in the throat, making it difficult for Rush to speak.

Halt looked towards his friend and responded, "Yes?"

"Ambush..."

Halt looked away, looking sadly at the ground. "Still no news from Jack, buddy. I'm sorry."

"Shadow..."

"What about him?"

"H-he can see our minds..."

Shock flared inside of Halt. He can WHAT?

"What... What has he seen?" He may know about Jack already, shoot!

"No...clue..." Rush sighed. Halt grasped his hand.

"I-it's okay. We can probably still stop him! Just stay awake for a little longer. Spirit wants to talk with you later, okay?" Halt said gently. Spirit wanted to let him know if there was any news from Jack, since he usually sent new information around now. It had, however, been a day since they heard from him, and, therefore, a day since the fight.

A knocking on the door could be heard. "That's probably her. I better go." Halt got up from his chair and answered the door, only to be greeted with the sight of both Spirit and Jack. Halt stepped to the side, letting them both in, and then closed the door behind him.

"So, Rush, we have good news and bad news. Which one would you like to hear first?" Spirit asked.

"Good," Rush said firmly.

"Jack?"

"We've located Ambush."

Rush sat up suddenly, gasped in pain, then slowly laid back down.

"Careful! Remember, no sudden movements." Spirit soothed.

"I... I know, but Ambush..." Rush sighed. "What's t-the bad news?"

Jack shifted uncomfortably. "He's being held in a tiny, cramped cell, and he tortures him... He does the same with his other captive, but not as bad as I saw with Ambush. Also, he saw me, so I can't really be a spy anymore, since he now keeps all the closets down there open, after I closet hopped away."

Rush looked angry. Very angry. "No one hurts my best friend." He said it clear and steady, making it more frightening.

"However, Jack was able to map out the place a bit, since he had some time to explore. He found a room with a bunch of old machines, so, if we find the memory eraser, we can probably see if we can reverse it to restore Glitch's memory!" Rush's gaze shifted to Jack. Spirit's eyes followed his, and she realised why he looked at him. "Oh, don't worry, I already told Jack about it. He knows about Glitch." Spirit reassured him.

"Here, this is the map." Jack said, handing the map to Rush. "I know it's not the best, but I was in a bit of a hurry while making it."

"It looks fine..." Rush stated. "I can tell where stuff is..."

"Well, that was the goal..." Jack laughed.

"Alright you two, how are we going to use this information to our advantage?" Spirit questioned.

"We could ambush Shadow... Break Ambush free... maybe even Hide..." Rush responded.

"Uh, what do you mean by hide?" Jack asked.

"Not important. Anyway, that could work. However, we need a backup plan, in case this one goes awry. A planned escape route, ways to defend ourselves..." Spirit was thinking out loud now. "I'm gonna write this stuff down. We can compile a better plan when we have more ideas." And, with that, Spirit went into her blue light form, and teleported away.

"I'll never get used to that." Jack said. Rush laughed.

////////////

Figure, Eyes, Timothy, Screech, Sally, and Glitch were discussing stuff in the library. They were debating whether or not they could trust Seek anymore.

"He attacked Rush. Now he's stuck in a bed, with a broken nose and in pain. I say we don't trust him. Who's to say he won't do the same to us if we make him mad?" Eyes argued.

"Well, it's not like we have many allies to begin with. We need all we can have, even if it means trusting someone we don't like." Screech argued.

"I agree. I may not like Seek very much, but he's strong. He could probably beat up that shadow guy. He probably would, if Shadow made him mad enough." Sally imputed.

"I don't know, watching him attack Rush when he started it was kind of scary. I'm not sure I can trust him..." Timothy said.

"Now, don't be unreasonable. We have a part to play in this, too. Seek clearly didn't care, so maybe if we hadn't invited him to the meeting, none of this would have happened." Figure pointed out.

"Okay, but whose side are you on?" Eyes asked.

"I am neutral. I feel like that's the safest option right now." Figure responded.

"Well, I say we trust him for as long as we need to. Then, after Shadow is dealt with, we don't need to anymore." Screech said.

"I don't know, Eyes actually brought up a good point, now that I think about it. If we keep him with us, he might turn against us and hurt us. We can't trust him very much if we're at risk of that." Sally declared.

"This is going nowhere. I'm gonna go back to my room. I'm tired." Timothy walked out of the circle they were sitting in, and out of the library. The others agreed: this wasn't doing anything. They all exited the library, and went their separate ways.