Chapter 09 - Locks and Closets

The ashes of the map were scattered around the already destroyed room. Spirit and Rush didn't care if Shadow made another barrier yet, since they both knew it would take quite a while to complete something that could do that. Still, they couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

"Well, that's at least a little bit of responsibility off of our shoulders." Rush remarked.

"Maybe, but Shadow is still out there. And Hide..."

"Hey, try not to think about it too much. It isn't your fault. It's Shadow's."

Spirit smiled at her friend. "Thanks. I guess I haven't been doing the best mentally since my closest friends were taken. That might explain why I didn't recognize Glitch immediately. Either way, it's not like he'd recognise me..."

They began to walk to the main hall. Sure it would suck that Rush couldn't avoid Seek entirely, but it would be worth it in the long run. Maybe I should eat something...OR I could go see Ambush about lock picking! Yeah, that's a better idea!

"Well, today has been mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting, and it's not even noon yet. I'm going back to bed." Spirit said (story of my life lol).

Rush began to head to Ambush's room, before remembering that he would be in the library since it was his turn to help Figure. He turned around, but on his way there, he had to pass through the main hall, and, unfortunately for him, Seek was there. Ugh... him. He tried his best to ignore the entity, and just continued to walk across the hall. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Seek look up at him. However, instead of a snarky comment, Seek just looked back down, glaring at the book he was reading.

Weird... but can't complain. Rush finally reached the doors to the library, and, after knocking, opened them.

"Hey, Rush! Where have you been?" Halt called from where he had been sitting.

"Hey Rush, I didn't know you were gonna come over! Do you need anything?" Ambush asked, peeking out from behind a book shelf.

"Hello Ambush, I just wanted to know if I could get more lock picking lessons?"

"Ooh, that's gonna be tough, it's my turn to help Figure..."

"Don't worry, Ambush, I can handle it!" Halt said.

"Really, thanks Halt!" Ambush and Rush exited the library in time to see Figure just come out of wherever he was before.

"So, where was Figure? I didn't see him the entire time we were there."

"Oh, he was sorting through the braille books upstairs, but that's not important. Where have you been all day? I checked your room, but you weren't there, so I asked Seek if he'd seen you, but he just scoffed and said 'No' very rudely."

Rush snorted. "Yeah, that sounds like Seek. Anyway, I was with Guiding Light. Or, well, Spirit."

"Ah, I see. What were you talking about?"

"Uh... Shadow?" Hey, he wasn't technically lying! But he wasn't just going to go around talking about Spirit's personal life like that! That would be incredibly rude!

"Alright, whatever you say, pal." Ambush responded. They had finally reached his room, and were now looking through the locks Ambush had in his room.

"Hey, why do you have so many locks? Didn't you say you only had one"

"Okay, so, one, I just collect them. Two, You'd be surprised as to what you can find in old storage crates. Plus, they're great for practising on! Though, I still haven't figured out the big one..."

"Which one?"

"The one I showed you in chapter 1!"

"Oh, that one. Could I see it?"

"Sure, I guess." Ambush grabbed a large box from the bottom of his shelf, opened it, and handed it to Rush. "I've tried so many combos! And none of them worked! Maybe you'll have better luck." Ambush vented as Rush took the lock out of the box.

"Alright, I'll try..."

////////////

736 attempts. And none worked. 736 ATTEMPTS!

We've been here for hours... Rush groaned inwardly, then set the lock down and stretched.

"I think that's enough for today." Ambush picked up the lock and placed it back in its box.

"Well, I'm gonna head back to my room, see you around, Ambush." Rush got up and exited his friend's room.

Damn, what is that code! I tried it 736 times, and Ambush did it 4,017 times before me! As Rush continued to rant to himself, he noticed one of the closets was rattling. What in the multiverse?... He nervously approached the door, not knowing what could possibly be inside. He hesitantly opened the door, only to be pushed out by a figure walking out of it.

"Ow! What was that for?" Rush exclaimed. The stranger looked at Rush.

"Oh, I'm sorry, usually no one's there when I come out of a closet. What's your name?" The stranger held out his hand. Rush hesitantly took it.

"My name's Rush. What's yours?" As Rush finally got a good look at the stranger, he noticed how pale his skin was, and how half of his face was shrouded in shadow, even though it was very light around them.

"The name's Jack, a pleasure to meet you! The only one I've met before is a blind guy who calls himself 'Figure'. I'm sure you know him?"

"Oh absolutely. Anyway, what are you doing here, and how did you get here?"

"I stumbled upon this place while wandering this forest about two weeks ago, I've been hiding in closets ever since. I even discovered this cool thing I call 'closet hopping,' watch!"

Rush watched as Jack got back into the closet he came from, and then it shook.

"Hey!" Rush turned around to see Jack coming out of a closet on the other side of the room.

"Woah, how'd you do that?" Rush was impressed. He'd been living here for years, and he never knew you could go from one closet to another without actually coming out.

"Eh, I just stand in the closet and think of the next closet I want to go to, and it works!"

"Cool! Hey, you should probably meet the others!"

"Meh, why not?"

(lmao this chapter sucks)