Chapter 15 - Gathering and Planning

"Okay, uh, try this one," Spirit said, taking the agate ring from Rush, and handing him a small obsidian sphere. Spirit, Glitch, and Halt had been trying to help Rush with walking for a few days now, and, while he was getting better at sitting up and standing on his own, it was taking too long for Rush to be able to move comfortably on his own, and Ambush needed to be saved as soon as possible.

Rush held the ball in his hand, then tried to stand up. He noticeably winced, and struggled to stay upright. This isn't working! Rush thought to himself. He handed the obsidian back to Spirit, and received a ruby charm instead.

"Attach that charm to your necklace; see if that helps," Spirit instructed. Rush clipped the charm to the necklace chain and stood up, only to stumble and fall back onto his bed.

"Dammit!" Spirit cursed. She had been trying to enchant so many trinkets, and none of them worked.

"It's fine, we can just continue with our normal routine for now," Halt said. Rush put one arm around his shoulders, then the other around Glitch's, and together, they helped him stand up. "Physical therapy takes time, and while I wish we could get Rush moving sooner, this is all we can do right now."

"Keep trying though! Maybe you'll get it eventually. Don't give up now." Glitch encouraged.

"But nothing's working! And Ambush needs help now!" Spirit exclaimed, her voice unusually loud.

"Just keep going. Even if it doesn't work, I'll be walking fine eventually. And hey, remember that it's not your fault I'm like this, so don't beat yourself up over it, okay?" Rush reassured.

Spirit smiled. The kindness Halt, Rush, and Glitch gave to her reminded her of Hide; he was always patient, encouraging, and ready to help others within a moment's notice. She missed him. "Thanks guys. I'll head back to my room, after all, there's still much work to do." She grabbed the small pile of trinkets she had brought with her, and then she was gone.

////////////

Spirit appeared about two hours later, a new pile of stuff in her arms. They began to try every one of them, and, so far, none of them worked. At the moment, there were 4 items left.

"I've already tried all sorts of enchantments! I just don't get it. Normally it doesn't take this long for something to work!" Spirit vented.

"Hey, it's okay! This is a pretty big enchantment, after all. Have you ever done anything like it before?" Halt asked.

"Well, no, but it's just so frustrating! I don't know how many items we've tried already, and still nothing works!" Spirit exclaimed. Rush sighed.

"Well, even if it doesn't work, I still have to recover, so maybe you guys should just go save Ambush without me. After all, if it continues like this, I'm scared that Shadow will do something horrible to him, and we'll be too late."

"I mean, he has a point. The sooner we help Ambush, the better," Glitch pointed out. "Besides, while you're gone, Rush should have plenty of time to be able to recover."

"Wait, what do you mean, 'you're?' You aren't coming?" Halt asked, disappointment prominent in his voice.

"Yeah, sorry, but Rush will need someone to help and look after him. Besides, Halt, you should know the layout pretty well, considering you've been there longer than any of us," Glitch said, looking from Halt, to Rush, and then to Spirit.

"I guess you're right," Spirit sighed. "But you might not be alone. We'll ask the other entities if any of them want to come with us, and those who wish to stay behind can help you with Rush."

"Except for Seek, right?" Rush asked.

"Except for Seek," Spirit laughed. "Come with me, Halt. We'll leave these two and head to the library, alright?"

"Yeah, that sounds good," Halt replied.

////////////

Every entity (other than Rush, Glitch, and Seek) was gathered in the library. Jack stood by a closet, while the Chaos Cult (Timothy, Screech, and Sally) chatted near him, and Figure and Eyes stood by the desk. Halt stood beside Guiding Light, ready to make the announcement.

"Can I have everyone's attention?" Spirit called out. Figure, Jack, and Eyes all turned to Spirit, and a few seconds later, the Chaos Cult quieted down and began paying attention. "Thank you, guys. I know this is very short notice, but Rush says he feels he won't recover anytime soon. He says we should go get Ambush now, before Shadow does anything horrible to him. Halt and I are going to go. Does anyone else want to come?"

The library was quiet for a moment. Halt was worried he and Spirit would be alone when facing Shadow, until Timothy spoke.

"I'll go. Ambush was always nice to me. I want to return the favour," Timothy said. Slowly, the rest of the Chaos Cult agreed. They were in.

"I can help," Figure declared. "I may not be able to see, but I have unusually good hearing. I can probably stay behind a little, and warn you if I hear anything."

"That's a great idea, Figure!" Spirit wrote it down on her planning paper.

"Well, I have been down there before, so I should obviously go," Jack said, walking over to Halt and Spirit. "I mapped out the place, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I can help plan an escape route if things go wrong." Spirit nodded, writing it down.

"I probably won't be much help," Eyes admitted. "I'll stay behind, I can help Rush while you guys are gone."

"That's perfectly fine, Eyes. I understand. If you want, you can leave while we plan our attack," Halt said. Eyes nodded, and then walked out of the library.

"Okay, so, what ideas does everyone have?..." Spirit said, sitting next to Figure at the desk.

"Well, maybe we can burn the place down! How could that go wrong?" Sally suggested.

"I'm sorry, Sally, but Shadow's lair is kind of, you know, attached to the hotel. If we burn his lab down, we may as well kiss this place goodbye," Jack said. "Plus, we don't want to hurt Ambush. The point of this mission is to save him."

"Jack is right," Timothy said. "I wasn't down there for very long, but I still felt the connection to the hotel I felt when I first came here. So, we'd definitely be dead if we did that."

"A simple 'No,' would have been fine..." Sally grumbled.

"Well, maybe we could do what Rush said. Set up an ambush. We could have one of us be 'bait,' or something, and distract Shadow, then someone saves Ambush, and we all attack him!" Jack said, clearly excited to finally be doing something.

"While that's a good idea, Rush also said that Shadow can see and enter our minds," Halt stated.

"He can WHAT?" Figure asked.

"Well, everyone here except me. I don't know why though," Spirit said, when suddenly she had a great idea. "Maybe I could be the distraction! After all, I have magic beyond your abilities, so I could probably last longer than anyone else could!"

"But won't he just sense our minds and put a stop to our plan?" Sally asked.

"I don't know, but we can at least try!" Halt said. "Even if he senses us, there's seven of us, and he only has his assistant."

"Alright, so that's the plan we're going with, I guess. Anyway, Jack, can you plan our escape route, as well as the best way to enter undetected?" Spirit asked

"Sure, I can do that," Jack replied. "Just give me a couple hours."