Ch 21.

[ a couple years ago ]

"Bye Haechan! See you Monday!" Renjun waved off before he put on his hood and ran out the school's front doors. Haechan sat on one of the benches that was outside but still under the extended roofing that shields him from the rain. He sat there for a couple minutes trying to call Johnny on his phone but the other line never picked up. He knew his house was too far from the school to walk and the rain was pouring too hard to make a decision to leave his spot. He tried to make a few other calls to his hyungs but they didn't go through. Maybe the service here was bad.

Finally after what felt like hours Jungwoo picked up the phone and Haechan said to the other line "Jungwoo! Please pick me up from my dance club practice! And if you can't, send a car or something as quickly as you ca-" he froze when he saw a familiar black car pulling up at the front gate. He saw a different Hyung open the door and walk toward him. Haechan stood there and watched the older walk up the steps and stop in front of him. Their feet faced each other as he held an open umbrella. Haechan was standing on a step that was only a couple inches higher than him yet they were the same height because haechan was the shorter one between the two.

The Hyung extended out his umbrella "Hey, I knew you had practice so-"

Haechan didn't let him finish before he shoved right past Mark's shoulder and walked straight into the pouring rain. The bump caused Mark's glasses to fly from his face and fall to the ground. Haechan kept determinedly walking in the rain and he didn't feel bad because it's not like Mark needs his glasses all the time. Mark only wears his glasses at home because he wants to look "cool" at school. He recently overheard Mark also talking about wanting to dye his hair blonde too. Who's he trying to look good for? Haechan claims he wouldn't know.

Once Mark caught up after picking up his glasses, he grabbed his hand and yanked the younger toward him.

"What?!" Haechan whipped around annoyed.

Mark, with dark furrowed brows, and water droplets all throughout his glass frames pulled the umbrella over his and Haechans head. "What do you mean "what"? What's with your pissy attitude? I haven't even done anything but you're acting so different towards me."

The younger's eyes widened "IM THE ONE ACTING DIFFERENT?!?" Haechan yelled in outrage. He could not believe his ears. "You've straight up ignored me, screamed at me, told me to "get lost", get mad whenever I'm around, choked me, threatened me, and the list goes on throughout THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS. You've flipped everything and made my life utterly miserable and yet I'm the one acting different? What about my best friend? Where did he go?"

"Look Haechan-ah, I just—" Mark bit his inner lip apprehensively. "My head hasn't been clear recently. You don't understand, there's memories— I mean like trauma—"

Haechan didn't understand the situation in its fullest. The time that mark has been distant, cold, and cruel to him was when he was being compelled by vampires during the boom era [refer to The Sun's Child -end of ch21 if needed]. Mark had regained his memories of the horrible day the vampire attacked his old pack as a child and he had fled with Haechan. But the emotions building up inside of him were more of rage than his true feelings of grief. It was like something was controlling him to think this way. "How could a sole child at that time destroy my whole family? How could the boy I cared so deeply for be such a huge threat to every thing living, and yet that little monster still lives right under my nose. No! How could I possibly think that way? He's my partner, our souls are connected.. he's my one and only mate... But he's not even a full werewolf! That fucking traitor!! How could he deceive me like this!!!" The more he tried, the more he couldn't control this eruption of pain and hatred from his heart. It wasn't until the Chiva pack eradicated most of the harmful-doing vampires that mark began to regain his rationality. Even so he was carefully instructed by Johnny not to tell anyone about his change of behavior. If more people were to find out, their pack would become an easy looking target for stronger vampire clans.