colors

lucy

The walk had been going on for around four days already, and my legs were dreading to lay down in bed and sleep for a long time. We all wanted to, but when Bellamy came near the group, he mentioned something about Diyoza and her army knowing we were coming. Still, there was no way we could have stopped or returned, since the hydro farm had been burned down, and our rations were counted for six days.

The sun was setting, and the sky slowly faded into darkness, which was our queue to stop for the night and rest. "Finally," I murmured exhausted after setting my tent down. There weren't enough of those, so we had to either share or leave most of the group sleeping outside. Mine was shared with Beka, of course, Echo, and Toby, since Bellamy argued that it was fine with him staying outside.

As soon as my eyes closed, I felt myself drift off completely to sleep.

We had been short on food for a while now, they thought we wouldn't notice how our food rations decreased each meal, but we did. At least I did. I knew something was wrong with the hydro farm, something was wrong with the food storage. It was weird, though, since they had assured the continuous life of at least one thousand and two hundred people down here for the rest of our lives, along with future generations as well.

This meal was different.

We were all given, each, a medium-sized, dark red cube, along with some other things. I eyed mine and then Beka's, they both looked disgusting. Everyone knew what it was. It was us, it was the man who stole a second piece of bread, the woman who got me a blanket when I was cold, the old man who punched a guard because they had taken his daughter away. This cube of meat was Wonkru.

"Why are we eating this?" I whispered carefully touching the thing with my fork. "It's gross." I finished turning my eyes to the front, where the main table was at. Where Octavia, Kane, Abby, Madi, Indra, and Anya, among others, were sitting down. My place was still empty, Octavia had offered me a seat since the beginning of the lockdown, but I couldn't bare to see everyone's faces pretending to be fine down here,

Suddenly, Octavia stood up with the cube in her hand, "We all know the situation." She stated dryly staring ahead at every person in the room. "What we do here now, we do to survive." I gulped as shivers ran through my back, "Some of you think it's a sin, but the sin would be letting ourselves starve to death when we know we're all that's left of the human race." Slowly, she raised her hand and took a bite of the meat cube. I quickly covered my mouth stopping myself from vomiting.

Everyone looked around and while some followed Octavia in eating the cube, some did not. Kane being one of them. He stood up and spoke up to everyone in the room, "We all need to make this choice," he began, I looked around and noticed the people on my table, at least, all had disgusted expressions on their face. "For ourselves."

Abby stood up as well, arguing with Marcus. "If you don't eat, you starve."

"There's always a choice, Abby." Kane finished before leaving the room, "You know that." Some others started leaving as well, following him into his little rebellion. I was tempted to go, really wanted to; still, what Abby explained was right. If our bodies do not receive any protein, we will die. But was it all really worth it?

"Eat it." I heard Octavia's voice growling at me.

"What? No, it's disgusting." 

"Eat it or you will be the next meat cube fed to your sister." She demanded now pointing a gun to my head.

My eyes shot open, breathing heavily, trying to calm myself down. Beka woke up next to me, her eyes tired but worried. "Hey, you're okay." She placed her hand over my rapidly beating heart. "What happened?"

"It was just— just a dream. Nothing to worry about." Her eyes worriedly looked into mine for any sign of something that would tell her what was happening, or what had happened. "Really, I'm fine. Let's sleep while we still can, okay?" I smiled tiredly at her and she nodded relentlessly, hugging me from behind as we both went to sleep again.

To my dislike, the sun was up rather fast, which meant we had to keep moving. Everyone was tired, but most were determined to get to the Valley; they knew that reaching that Valley and fighting for it would be their last crime, and everyone would willingly do it.

The sun was shining down un us and it burned my skin even though I had most of it covered. "Apricots." Said Beka suddenly, I turned to look at her with furrowed eyebrows.

"What?" I ask her while a small smile beginning to form at my lips.

"Broccoli." She replied. I laughed slightly recognizing what she was doing, we used to play this game every night down in the bunker. We called it 'Alphabet', and it consisted on naming one word from any category and the other had to reply in alphabetical order. If one of us couldn't answer, the other one would win. I smiled fondly at her knowing she had only done it to take my head off of things.

My eyes met hers and I replied, "Cherry."

Nighttime came soon enough and we all gathered around the fire for our last night in the desert, finally. Beka was talking with Echo about fighting techniques, Bellamy sat there sharing rations with Monty, while Toby and I talked about nothing in particular. We started off talking about the different clans and ended up trying to find out which color we are.

"Personally, I think Bellamy is blue, but not regular blue like— like dark blue, you know?" He looked at us with an eyebrow raised in question, wondering where the thought came from. However, deep down, he was used to these type of comments around us.

Toby looked at his father closely. "You're right," he said after a few moments of silence. "Beka is light pink."

"Right!?" I perked up excitedly. Even after all these years, our minds seemed to be always synchronized. Beka looked our way after hearing her name, being completely clueless about what we were talking about.

"You're baby pink. Your color, I mean." Bellamy clarified for her, to which she giggled in response while nodding. "But I don't see it, how can you see someone else's color? That's impossible, really. Nobody baptized me as Dark Blue Bellamy." We all laughed at his complaints. That was one of Bellamy's worst traits, if he didn't understand the joke, he would try to find the logic in it to make us see it was not funny.
Party pooper, right?

"Honey, it's easy! I see Toby as light blue, and Lucy... wait I haven't thought about yours, actually."

"Hey, ouch!" I replied playfully placing a hand against my heart.

"No, not in that way! You're just like— a mix of many colors." Echo said trying to find the word to express her thoughts. "Kind of like orange, but not precisely. Maybe a mix between orange and purple, 'cause you have that calm vibe the color purple transmits, but your not calm at all!"

I snorted while everyone else laughed, "Very funny, Echo." Everyone kept eating in silence after that, enjoying our last shitty meal before the Vally's feasts.

"I actually see Bellamy brown." Harper spoke up, earning a snicker from each of us.

Bellamy only dropped his head down, defeated. "I'm done with this." He stood up shaking his head with the tiniest of smiles present on his face.

"Loser!" Harper yelled after him, to which Bellamy responded with his middle finger popped up.

if anyone is as obsessed as i am with Wanda maximoff, please go check out my throughout the multiverse book! its heda's orders 🧎‍♀️