Double Date (3)

They arrived at Chez La Vie, one of the fanciest restaurants in town. Kokichi opened the car door for Himiko, who smiled bashfully as he gave her a small smooch on her cheek. Kaito opened the door for Maki on her side, as well.

  "You don't have to open the door for me, Kaito," Maki said as they all walked towards the front entrance of the restaurant. 

  "I know, but what kinda guy would I be if I didn't open the door for my Goddess of the Universe?" Kaito replied.

   "I thought I was Queen of the Universe," Maki said, crossing her arms and raising a suspicious brow at Kaito. Kaito rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. 

   "Aw, well...y'know, I just thought 'goddess' had a better ring to it," he mumbled.  

   "Are you sure it isn't because you're trying to save face from Kokichi making you look bad?" Maki asked. 

   "What?! He didn't make me look bad!" Kaito said. "I w-was gonna say Goddess of the Universe, it's just that he beat me to it! Honest!" Maki tilted her head in thought as she fiddled with her pigtail.

   "I'm fine with just being Queen of the Universe," she said. "After all, that was what came out of your mouth first, so I like that better."

   "Huh? R-Really?" Kaito asked. Maki blushed and smiled shyly, giving him a small nod in response. "Well...if you're sure about it...then you're my Queen of the Universe, Maki Roll!" He gave Maki a comforting pat on her hand. Maki smiled and leaned her head against Kaito's arm. Once inside, the maître d' led them to a table. 

   "What would you like to drink?" he asked them. 

  "You go first, Monkey Buns," Kokichi said to Himiko. 

   "Um...I'll have...ooo! What's this 'Strawberry Lemonade Bubbly?'" Himiko asked. 

   "It is a non-alcoholic beverage, merely strawberry lemonade with some lemon-lime soda," the maître d' responded. 

   "Nyeh...I'll have that, then, please!" Himiko said with a smile. The maître d' nodded and wrote it down on his pad. "And you, sir?" he asked Kokichi.

  "I'll have the Raspberry Lemonade Bubbly, please," Kokichi replied promptly. The maître d' wrote down Kokicho's drink and turned to Kaito.

   "Uh, um...Maki, you can order before me," Kaito said abruptly, giving Maki a smile. Maki stared back at him, bewildered.

   "Okay..." she said awkwardly. "I'll just have water."

   "You hear that?" Kaito said to the maître d'. "My Queen of the Universe just wants water!"

   "I'm not deaf," the maître d' responded, rolling his eyes. 

  "Hey, do you have any space-related drinks?" Kaito asked the maître d.'