Chapter 2: Dinner and a 20-Year-Old Story

Dinner consisted of burgers, fries, and Mountain Dew. With all the mountain Dew I was drinking I was soon hopped up, on a Caffeine high. To add to all that I also got a large sundae filled with tons of sugar. Now add all of the sugar to the caffeine I had consumed, I was really rambunctious that evening. This was the reason that when I lived with Mom, I rarely ever got pop or sugar. She just wasn't capable of handling a rambunctious kid and I also tended to have more accidents when this was the case.

Talking about accidents reminds me, I did make it to the restaurant before the dam burst so to speak. Before going inside, I let Dad know that my diaper was about to capacity and I desperately needed a change. Both he and Uncle Justin gave me a knowing look as Dad grabbed my diaper bag and I took off my suit coat and left it inside the car. Actually, my diaper bag was a book bag, that way when people see it, they would think nothing of it.

After entering the restaurant Dad and I made a beeline towards the bathroom while Uncle Justin got us a table. As we made our way to the bathroom, my eyes bugged out as we passed all of the games and the many kids playing them. The burger joint was set up just like a Chucky Cheese, except this place served hamburgers instead of pizza. They had all the cool games, like Romper Stomper and Skeeball, which I like to believe that I am good at. I love these type of games as they are easy to play and allow you to earn tickets; which you can trade in for items like little cheap toys or more expensive things, like a portable DVD player.

As we passed all of the games, it didn't even occur to me that the bathroom was most likely not a private one. If I hadn't been distracted, I would have quickly realized that with all the kids present, there would be no way I would be able to get changed before someone either walked in or even worse was there already. As I said I wasn't thinking about it at first, but as soon as we entered the bathroom I was confronted with the reality of the situation. At least luck was on my side, for now. The bathroom was empty for the time being. Just maybe if we hurry, I can be changed and back out of there before anyone comes in.

As we entered the bathroom, Dad led me over to the baby changing station and I just knew he intended on changing my diaper on it. Before opening it up he read the directions, I guess he was checking the weight restrictions, because he all of a sudden said, "Okay good you are not too heavy for it."

"Dad, you can't put me up there, those are meant for babies!" I tried to reason with him. "Can't we use my changing mat on the floor, like earlier?" I begged!

"That is ridiculous Davey, they are meant for anyone who is under the weight limit. Besides do you really think they would have made it to hold kids up to 90lbs if it was only meant for babies? I don't know of any babies that are that heavy" Dad countered. "As for doing it on the floor, there really isn't a lot of space in here and the stalls are not big enough either. Besides if anyone comes in, you would be in their way, and to be honest it would be much easier and quicker up here." As he mentioned this, Dad pointed at the baby changing station.

"But Dad, I am 12 years old!" I cried out as he lifted me up onto the baby changing station.

"Davey I can sympathize with you; I know that this is very scary and embarrassing for you." Dad said trying to comfort me. "I wish there was a way that I could make it not so. I would do anything to protect and help you. But you need to get out of your wet diaper so you don't get a rash." Dad said to me, with a look of concern on his face. "Also try not to grow up so soon, cherish this time as you will never be able to get it back. Yes, I know you are almost 12, but enjoy your 11th year as long as you can."

I knew Dad was right, I couldn't help wonder though, why this restaurant that attracted the number of kids it did, had such a small bathroom. Yes, they did have 4 stalls, 4 urinals, and 2 sinks, but it also didn't pass my attention that there was no handicap stall or access.