Chapter 1: The 1st Battle & How it All Started

"NO! I will not ... and you can't make me!" I shouted and stomped my foot like some little kid throwing a tantrum.

I had no sooner come out of the Men's room when I was approached by the prosecutor Mr. Green and his assistant. My father hadn't come out of the bathroom yet as he had made sure I was okay first and had helped me clean off my shoes. As the two men approached me, I felt like I was being cornered. As they approached me getting closer to me than I felt comfortable with, an overwhelming feeling of panic struck me. I looked around, my eyes trying to search for anyone who could rescue me from these two pushy men.

Mr. Green at first was shocked, then his face went ashen, "Damn it, you have to! It is the only way we can guarantee that your mother will get the help she needs and the man that hurt you will be put away!" the worried and pushy Prosecutor demanded.

In my mind though, it seemed like they were more worried about winning this case than about what I felt or wanted. I just couldn't cope with all of this and felt that if I didn't get out of here soon that I might have a mental breakdown, I guess Dr. Brice will then really have a reason to see me!

I don't know why but from the first time I met Mr. Green, I didn't trust him. In fact, I knew ADA Green disliked me as much as I did him. I guess all I was to him was some snot-nosed brat that he was forced to deal with. You may ask how I know this, easily, as I overheard him talking to a fellow prosecutor at his office. Unbeknownst to him, Dad and I had arrived early for our appointment with him. I could tell that the comment wasn't missed by my dad as well; and I could see he was really fuming about it.

As I tried to sidestep Mr. Green, the ADA all of a sudden snarled. "Look here you ungrateful brat, you are going to get up on that stand and tell the court what we talked about! Do you understand me?!" The way the Prosecutor was growling, I knew this was not meant as a question, but instead, a statement of fact.

What happened next, not only scared the living bajeebers out of me, but it also startled Mr. Green. In fact, I think he jumped about two feet in the air, "Excuse ME! What the hell are you trying to pull off!?" my dad bellowed.

You see without either of us knowing, my dad had come out of the bathroom just in time to hear the prosecutor call me a brat. For a minute there I thought just maybe my dad was going to slug Mr. Green. I guess he decided against it as I saw the fist he had tightly made at his side, relax a little.

Dad is a pretty imposing looking guy as he stood at his full height at 6'7" and was well built. As for Mr. Green, he was a small wiry man who was dwarfed by my father.

Looking for protection I backed into my father, my small cowering body pressed tightly against his leg and hip. I did feel a little better when he put his left arm protectively around my trembling chest.

"Would you care to tell me, why I am seeing my son cowering from fear; while you threaten him and act like an ass?!" My dad demanded.

"I... you see... well..." Mr. Green was obviously flustered and more than just a little nervous at being caught in a very unprofessional manner.

"You know, I have had about as much of you as I can take!" Dad angrily told the Assistant District Attorney. "I am going to have a word with your superiors and let them know how you have treated my son during this trial. I am sure they would not be too happy to learn of your obvious disdain of my son and of your unprofessional behavior towards him," Dad stated angrily. I could tell that even though his body was no longer tight and rigid he still had a lot of anger in his voice.

"I am sorry Mr. Brown, you're right. I have been very insulting not only to your son, but you as well." Mr. Green sighed, and with more sincerity than I have heard from him yet, apologized, "I am completely ashamed of how I have acted. I am terribly sorry and hope that you can see it in yourself to forgive me and give me another chance to do right by you and your son."