Chapter 39: Out of The Closet, Into The Fryer.

Umi

Ito walks out of the principal's office and we immediately follow him. Mom is trying impatiently to get his attention since she's obviously concerned about what just happened back there, but Ito is confidentially reassuring her not to worry.

Knowing him though, he does have a plan in place that he's not telling the rest of us right now. I get the feeling it involves me in some way and that honestly alone makes me not like it all.

Not being in control of what is happening freaking sucks, and right now it feels like I'm losing control of everything around me.

I'm trying to mentally swim through the chaos of thoughts in my head when Crystal gently squeezes my hand as we're walking together. I look to her face and she gives me this sweet smile that I try not to blush at.

Her smile is cute enough to make me melt but like hell I'll ever admit that to her or anyone ever.

She's trying her best right now to comfort me, and honestly, holding hands without any exchange of words is exactly what I need right now.

We're all eventually properly seated in Ito's car, a black Bentley, and he proceeds to start driving.

I've asked him before why he drives when he has the power to just teleport himself wherever he wants with a little magic. His answer to that was simple: He just likes driving. And it's very 'meditative' for him. 

Not sure I'll ever relate, but maybe I should drop a hint for when I turn sixteen that I'll also 'like' driving if a particular rich demon granddad suddenly gifted me a shiny BMW. 

The idea of my sister marrying Yuna in the future is starting to look very favourable now. 

Shifting my mind back to the present day, I lean my head against the car window, looking at the school one last time through the window glass as it moves further away and then out of sight once we turn a corner.

The reality of my expulsion is starting to painfully sink in. I guess this is how things had to happen.

Well, on the upside, I can literally turn my supposed-to-be-finished-but-never-will homework into ash now. Ha, choke on a cactus, Mr. Patterson. You and every other dickwad teacher in that hell hole.

"Hey", Crystal's soft whispers intervene in my daydreaming, "Are you doing okay?"

Without turning around to face her, I continue looking out the window. 

"No. If there's a spell to make me forget everything that has happened today, I'll like to cast it right fucking now."

I know I'm not helping the mood in the car, but life just sucks ass right now.

The grip on my right hand loosens as Crystal starts releasing her hand from mine. This time I look back to her and the sad look on her face makes it clear that my words have made her feel dejected.

And right then, it hits me. I can't believe I almost forgot, with everything that's happened today, the thing I should be celebrating the most: Crystal. She's my girlfriend now.

Even better, my girlfriend is my best friend. While it is cliche, I don't think there's a better pairing.

Thinking about it now, I've only just understood that there is one thing in my life that has gone exactly-...okay, maybe not 'exactly', but close enough to how I could have wanted it to.

"Crystal", I call to her. She glances at me and before she realizes it, I've already tightly wrapped my arms around her, "Je t'aime beaucoup (I love you very much)."

And this time, I really do want her to know that.

Crystal happily returns my hug and only now after I have a better opportunity to take in her scent, that I become just absolutely enamoured.