2

unknown number
hey izzy!

isabel
this is connor , i assume?
how are you?

bedard
yes it is :)
pretty good,  not much has changed in a couple of hours.
hbu

isabel
bored, driving through canada is so boring :/

bedard
yeah ikr 🙄
how long until u get home?

isabel
only like an hour left

we text until i get back to manitoba, back home, away from him. i don't know when i'll see him next, if i ever will. maybe we will just always be text friends, never actually hang out in real life. He lives almost 6 hours away, i don't know if i can handle a long distance relationship.

just as we are pulling into my driveway my mom looks back, seeing cassidy fast asleep and severely hung over, and me smiling at my phone texting.

"who could you possibly be texting, the only person you talk to is fast asleep and sitting right beside you!" my mom says jokingly

"just a friend" i say back to her, not wanting to get into all the details.

"oh? who is this friend? what's his- her- name?" she says trying to get a reaction out of me to tell who i'm texting

"his name is connor, we met last night" i reply

"oooh it's a boy" my younger brother skylar says

"he better be careful what he does to you" my older brother chris says with a questionable look on his face.

my brothers have never been too fond of the idea of me dating, they don't like that they don't know who this connor is.

"can we not do this right now? i'm really tired and don't feel like talking about it?" i say in a sassy voice.

"someone was out partying too late" skylar says under his breath

by this time cassidy had just woken up from all the talking.

"hey it's not her fault, i wanted to stay later than she did, don't blame her for being a bitch about it" cassidy says, trying to get a reaction out of me. she laughs and looks to see if i'll fall for it, i don't.

"she just wants to text her boyfriend without you guys drilling her." she says partially attacking me and skylar.

"boyfriend?" my dad questions looking at me through the rear view mirror, before i have a chance to defend myself.

"no" i say sternly while giving cassidy a look, "he's not my boyfriend, and we aren't dating." i say making sure everyone is aware.

"then why did she say that?" chris asks both me and cassidy

"i don't know, cass, why don't you tell him why you lied about that?" i say looking at cassidy making sure she knows i'm not impressed.

"well cause i saw you making out with him on the couch, remember?" cassidy says, playing dumb.

at this point the entire car turned quiet, i was red as a tomato, and also genuinely upset with cassidy. we were just sitting in the driveway, waiting for someone to say something, anything.

"well why don't we get cass home, and then me and dad can talk about this with you once we get back, ok?" my mom says taking charge.

this is when i knew i was in deep shit. if only cass hadn't mentioned the kiss. i would have been better off if no one knew.

we get out of the vehicle and emptied everything but cass' stuff. me and my parents drove her home, leaving my brothers at my house. it was a silent car ride to cassidy's place, with basically her just thanking my parents for taking her to regina again. not a single word was said when we were driving home. it was about a 10 minute drive to cass' house from mine.

when we got home i tried to avoid the whole "kiss" subject. i walked into my room with my bags and plopped onto my bed. "Isabel get down her right now!" my parents called from the main floor. i walked down the stairs on the verge of tears knowing my parents weren't impressed. they sent my brothers downstairs while they were talking to me, but i know they were standing by the stairs listening.

"isabel we-" my dad started but was soon interrupted by me bursting into tears.

"i'm so sorry i shouldn't have kissed him i just really like him and-" i tried to get out while sobbing uncontrollably, but my parents stopped me from talking to explain themselves.

"isabel, we know your 17 and can make your own choices, and kiss whichever guys you want" which made my dad cringe slightly "but you have to remember, you met this guy yesterday, and he lives 6 hours away from you! i just don't want you getting hurt, that's all." my mom says to me, with my dad nodding along, agreeing with what's she's saying.

"can you hear me out? he's a really nice sweet guy that i met, and we talked for hours yesterday. he told me all about his family and i told him about ours. mom, dad, i really like him and i think you guys would too if you just got to know him." i said confidently, with some occasional tears still streaming down my face.

"ok sweetie, we trust you and we will give him a chance, but we just want you to know we are doing this to keep you safe, we just want what's best for you." my dad said to me, with his hand on my shoulder.

"wait what's his name again?" my mom asked

i hesitated. "uhm, connor" i said scared of them asking more.

"connor who?" my dad pushed

"bedard..." i said, terrified for their reaction. i know they don't like hockey boys, they know how bad they can be.

"wait, like the connor bedard?" my dad pushed even further

"yeah..." i said

"omg like the one who is the number 1 draft? like that connor bedard? like regina pats connor bedard?" chris asked from downstairs.

"you weren't supposed to be listening" i yelled down to them, annoyed, but not surprised.

"too bad" he said back

"wait who is this connor guy?" my mom asked, knowing nothing of hockey. 

"he's the number one draft pick this year for the NHL, probably going to chicago to play for the blackhawks." my dad explains to her

"isabel is dating connor bedard?" skylar says extremely excited.

"noo we're not dating!" i repeat for the thousandth time.