Chapter 17

Alpha Taurus showed us around, allowing us to meet and visit every part of the pack. And although Burning Tree was smaller then Gray Blood, it definitely wasn't any less beautiful or lacking in life and spirit.

I watched a group of guys running around in the field, fighting and shifting with each other as they pleased, enjoying a harmless spar.
"When do majority of your young ones start training?" Asked Damian.
"Ten is when they officially start basic defensive combat, but lots of parents opt for earlier these days" replied Taurus.
"Most parents in my pack opt to put them in as early as they can" said Damian. "Some as early as five."
"Five!"
"Five."

"And for offensive too?"
Damian nodded.
"Hm..." sighed Taurus. "Times certainly are changing."
Damian laughed.

"Are you much of a fighter yourself, Alec?" Asked Beta Jackson.
I looked up at him in surprise.
"Me? No, no. Not at all" I said, shaking my hand. "I don't have any of the training, only a bit of defensive."
"Which is a shame, Alec has a raw talent for fights" boasted Damian, a sly smile playing on his lips. "He gets into them often."

Alpha Taurus laughed a little to hard at the joke for my liking.
"And all this time I thought of you as more of a lover than a fighter" chuckled Taurus.
I felt my cheeks redden as I recoiled.

I tried to regain composure, reminding myself that I was reading to much into things.

"Speaking of which, why don't I show you two to the biggest lover in the pack?" Said Taurus, changing the topic and saving my pride from any further damage.

"Great idea" agreed Beta Jackson. "While you do that, I'll check on border patrol."
Alpha Taurus nodded and he led us down the pack halls until we met the doctors office. The office was small and only consisted of one room. In the middle of the room sat a desk along with a gray haired man, his sharp nose tipped down as he read what I assumed to be a report on his desk.

Taurus knocked on the door.
"Dr. Sam?"
The older man suddenly looked up from his papers and stood, a smile crossing his lips.
"Well, what a surprise" said Dr. Sam.

Dr. Sam crossed the room and Damian received him with a hug.
"Good to see you again" said Damian as he pulled back.
Dr. Sam smiled as he patted Damians shoulder.
"You look strong, Alpha!" Exclaimed Dr. Sam. "Just like your father!"
"Alpha Damian sites having to keep up with three hundred pack mates as the reason for his strength" said Alpha Taurus.

"Takes a strong man to lead a pack of three hundred people out of darkness."
"Takes an even stronger pack to be willing to work through the trauma that was caused."
Damian turned suddenly and gently ushered me up to his side.
"Speaking of strength, I'd like to introduce you to my mate, Alec."

I felt my cheeks redden slightly and I looked at Sam.
"I work in the doctors office back at my pack too" I said.

"With Dr. Jay?" Asked Dr. Sam as he shook my hand.
I nodded.
"I handle the paper work and help as an Aid" I said.
"Dr. Jay and I had the same mentor" reminisced Dr. Sam.
"You did?" I uttered.
"Our doctor died suddenly during the first year of my training" said Sam. "The Alpha of Little Rock reached out and offered to have the doctor there mentor me. He was already teaching Jay, but they recognized a pack in need. Over the years Jay and Alpha Damian have done nothing but extend that same kindness at every turn with every issue."

Dr. Sam once again placed his hand on Damians shoulder.
"It is only right that our packs would simply solidify this brother hood with an alliance."

I felt a warmth in my chest. It was a sensation that glowed as I watched Damian and how he interacted with the people around him. He was beloved. Universally and utterly beloved, regardless of pack. It filled me with hope.