Chapter 15

I stayed with Damian—in the night and during the day. He commanded my attention with ease and I found it hard to stay away from him for long.

I sat on the back step of the pack house and stared up at the night sky. I listened to the sound of distant howling as the breeze shook through the trees. It was a warm wind and I soaked it up as it brushed through my hair.

I turned as the door to the back step opened. It was Damian, and he smiled at me as I stared up at him.
"Are you lost?" He asked suddenly.
"How did you know I would be here?" I asked.
"Oh I'll always find you, mate" assured Damian playfully. My eyes peered down and I turned back to the night sky that spread out in front of me.

Damian sat on the step above me, his chin resting on the top of my head.
"Are you having a hard time sleeping again?" He asked.
I shook my head in return.
"Not really" I muttered as I leaned back into him.

Damian hugged his arms around my shoulders in return and sighed. My skin burst with heat at the contact—a new trait that appeared within me ever since I let Damian in. It left us craving more from each other.

"When does the first night patrol come back?" I asked.
"Two" he muttered in return.
"When does second night patrol come back?"
"Six. It's four hours per shift. Why? Interested in taking a slot?"
"No thanks, I'll leave it to people like Jason and Joehn."
"You never get a craving for a fight?" He teased.
"Do you?" I asked as I tilted my head back.
Damian looked down into my eyes.

"I've got a different sort of addiction" he purred as his lips brushed my forehead.
"Saying that I'm an addiction makes it sound like I'm bad for you" I mused.
"I don't think the moon goddess would be mean enough to put me with someone like that" said Damian. "But she sure has a sense of humour to put me with someone who's so stubborn and indecisive."
"I'm not that bad" I scoffed.
"Well you haven't let me mark you yet, that's pretty stubborn of you."
"I'm just not sure yet!" I exclaimed as I turned to him.
"Thats pretty indecisive of you" laughed Damian as he gently flicked my forehead.

"Don't play with me, I'm trying to give you a serious answer you know."
"And what is that answer, hmm?" Mused Damian.
"My answer?" I spoke as his thumb traced to the bottom of my chin, gently bringing my lips to his.
My answer.
Damian kissed me quietly, but quickly.
What was my answer?

But my mind was a mess at the hands of Damian, and all I could do was surrender to his volatile hunger.

A cry pierced the cool night, but I was only broken from my stupor as Damian quickly pulled me to him. His eyes searched the dark forest that encircled the house, but was only met with yet another sterling cry.
I had heard the sound a million times, but I refused to realize it.
"What is that?" I whispered in a breath that was barely there.

But Damian heard me and his grip tensed.

"That's the sound of a creature" he said quickly.

"That's the sound of Red Water."
Damian stood and pulled me behind him as Alpha Bruno stepped froward from the tree line.

"I've come to kill you, Damian" announced Bruno, his mismatched eyes narrowing.

"Kill me?" Asked Damian. "Do you have enough creatures that are willing to try that?"

"My creatures and I aren't intimidated, Damian. They have nothing to lose but everything to gain" said Bruno.

"You don't have to do this, Bruno."
Bruno's eyes hardened.
"You know I do."
Bruno's voice was quiet, but dark.

"Creatures have no place with us, they're genetic killers" Reasoned Damian. "They're twisted in a way that makes them wild and violent without reason. They have no control, you know that too. Michael bred them for fighting, not because he thought they belonged!"