Chapter 12:The Misaki Stairs(Pt.2)

As dusk sets in, basking whatever it could touch with warm orange light.If I had not met Hanako-kun, I would not have given the sunset any notice.

However, having my life tested so many times, I seemed to appreciate the little things in this world even more now.The smell of rain...the flowers in Aoi's garden...and the butterflies they attracted.

Now, since I was about to throw myself into danger yet again on another one of Hanako-kun and I's misadventures, I was yet again being grateful.

I smiled.I used to live for others, the joy I felt from the smiles they gave when I was kind to them, the unfaltering forgiveness I kindly gave to everyone no matter how badly they wronged me, the politeness that I feigned when a beast deep inside me wanted to rip the throats of the horrible people in front of me.

"Yashiro!Good to see you're early!"Hanako-kun said, waving as I neared the Misaki tower staircase.

I waved back.Now, I was finally living for myself.

As I was just about to stand in front of Hanako-kun, Minamoto Kou suddenly ran right in front of me.

He pointed his blade at Hanako-kun and shrieked, "There you are, demon!What have you done with my order of knights?!Some of them disappeared without a trace and no one remembers them!"

I quickly blocked Kou from reaching Hanako-kun.

"Stay calm, you hotheaded knight!Hanako-kun, can you explain the situation to Sir Minamoto?"I said, trying to stop the fuming Kou from slicing Hanako-kun up.

"Sure, Daikon legs!You didn't need to help me though, his sword is still sealed~"Hanako-kun replied, teasing Kou and I for a bit, "We do have extra time but I'll make it short."

Hanako-kun then explained how one of the great 7 apparitions or 'Mysteries' of this kingdom, Mystery No.2, had been behind the recent disapearences.How Hanako-kun and I were going in so he could revoke Mystery No.2's ownership of its boundary and save everyone that was unfortunate enough to be caught in it's clutches.

Tears suddenly started welling up in my eyes as I got more stressed. Hanako-kun was purposely saying how dangerous it was to scare Kou to not come, but scaring me at the same time.Worried, I clasped Hanako-kun's jacket.

"Can anyone come back from there alive?"I asked.

I could not imagine losing Ina.Suddenly as I closed my eyes to wipe my tears, I felt cold hands cup my cheeks.I opened my teary eyes to see Hanako-kun with a a comforting smile.

"Brighten your countenance, Yashiro!It is my duty to ensure the order between the apparitions and humans!Plus...with you helping me everything will be fine!"Hanako-kun said, trying to cheer me up.

Hanako-kun then patted my head gently.Suddenly, Kou cut in between us.Hanako-kun simply wiggled his fingers cheekily, teasing Kou.

"Get your hands of her, demon!Your words will not scare me.A boundary is no place for a lady to be in, nor going with the very type of beings that caused this mess, I don't know how you coerced or bewitched the lady to come with you.What I do know is that I'll be accompanying the lady to ensure her safety."Kou proclaimed.

"Ah-I assure you I'm with Hanako-kun of my own volition, Sir Minamoto-"

But Kou heard none of it.

Hanako-kun sneered, rolling his eyes.

"Alright then, since you insist on being such a noble knight, there would be no need for me to protect you then."Hanako-kun said, stepping up the first step of the staircase to stop their bickering.