Chapter 10:Disapearence

Hanako-kun disappears as I heard someone knocking on my room's door.I thought it was Ina, a little girl that had been working under me for the past three years since I came here.I liked her quite much, and treated her like a little sister.

  "Good morning, My Lady, I've brought breakfast!"I heard a muffled voice.

  Hmm, that's strange, that was not Ina's voice.Ina was my personal maid, so she was the one that cared for me the most, and that includes serving all my meals.

  This was a tradition in the castle for all long-term staying members there to have a trusted personal maid that will make and serve them all the meals and care for them the most.This is to reduce the likelihood of assassination attempts and poisoning attempts.

  These personal maids are raised in the castle from birth, to ensure allegiance to their future masters and the kingdom.

  "Come in!"I said.

  The maid sets a table on my bed so I could eat while lying on it and places my breakfast on it.

  The maid then gets ready to leave, but I asked her a question.

  "Where is Ina?"I inquired.

  "Oh!Umm..Ina…disappeared, my lady.We believe she deserted and ran away.The matter is still under investigation so we don't know the exact answers yet, my lady.However, I will send someone to tell you immediately once this is solved if you wish."The maid replied hesitantly, as if she was afraid I would act rashly if I heard the news.

  I froze.Or was she?The maid looks away from me, her eyes shaking from fear.Or was the maid hiding something from me?I gripped my bedsheets tightly as I felt my blood start boiling.I did not believe Ina would run away.I have àtreated her really well, and Ina had declared that she would do anything for me.It was not like her to run away when her life here was already good.

  Then what else could it be?

  "May I leave now, My Lady?"The maid asked.

  I looked up, I always looked downwards when in thought.

  "What happened to Ina?"I asked.

  Now, if the maid reacts-

  "Ah-I already told you, My Lady.Miss Ina was transferred!"The maid said, avoiding my cold gaze.

  Hah-it was too obvious.

  "Can you come here please?"I asked.

  The maid gulped.Her hands were gripping the handles of the trolley so tightly that her knuckles had turned white.

  The maid then walks towards me.

  I held both of her hands with my own, which were trembling.

  "Please don't lie to me, you got her into some unpleasant situation didn't you?"I asked.

  "Wah-no my lady I would never dar-"The Maid stammered.

  I sniffled, causing the maid to fall silent.The Maid immediately became flustered, and tried to comfort me.However, it was all in vain as I started crying.

  Whatever she was doing for the past few minutes while in my presence, was further confirmation for me that she had something to do with Ina's disappearance;and whatever it was, it was not pretty.

  I care a lot, almost too much, for the people I love.I don't want Ina or Aoi to experience what I experienced back in my household.I want them to experience happiness that I never had.I want Ina's childhood to be peaceful and happy, one I never had.Hence, I want to be the protector for them that I never have.

  Yet, the fact that I'm weak never changes.

  "You know, I treat Ina like a little sister of mine and I love her as dearly as I love Aoi(like an elder sister).I want them to live happily, without pain or sorrow.However, the world seems to be too cruel to allow that."I said, in between sobs.

Author's Notes:It's a relatively short chapter that I edited, and yes this means I'm coming back to this story :D.Anyways that's all for today I had so much fun writing this chapter(it was originally one chapter but I split into two) it became longer than I thought.Anyways, have a good day!