Chapter 2:The Witch

"So, what is your wish, my lady?"Hanako-Kun asks.

  I bit my lip.Have courage, Nene.

  "I wish that you'll help me save my friend, Aoi.She's the Princess of my kingdom."I explained, "She's being held hostage by a dragon.So what is the price?"

  Hanako-Kun titled his head sideways, as if he was thinking about my wish carefully.To be honest, I wonder what a Ghost would even want for repayment of their services.Like, they cannot touch things, so what price could I even pay?

  "I cannot determine the price now as I  do not know how hard it will be to slay the dragon.I will tell you the price after we finish the job."Hanako-Kun said.

  Wait...WE?!

  "I'm coming too?"I asked.

  "You said 'help me save my friend', didn't you?I took that as meaning you want me to accompany you and help you kill the dragon."Hanako-Kun replies coolly, "You should have been more specific.So, do you accept my offer?"

  Ugh this ghost tricked me!Though, should I accept?I do not know the price that Hanako-Kun would charge.What if the price is too big for me to pay?However, I have no choice. 

  'You cam here out of desperation, didn't you Nene?'a voice in my head asked, 'You don't seem to BE desperate.'

  I am a good friend.I want to save Aoi.I am desperate.I did this of my own free will.If I end up dying, it is my responsibility.

  "I accept."I said, through my dried lips.

  "Well then, let's get right to work, shall we?"Hanako-Kun asks, grinning.

   He started taking out a lot of weird items from his hat and pocket as if he was a magician.I then saw a bag of green, glittering scales.I picked the bag up and took out a scale.It felt very hard, and was the colour of emeralds.It was beautiful.

  "Hanako-Kun, what is this?"I asked.

  Hanako-Kun turns and when he saw what I was holding, his eyes widened.

  "Fine, I'll explain but promise to me that you'll put it back down.These are matchmaking dragons' scales.If one eats them, they gain strength and wisdom-"Hanako-Kun explains.

  Strength and Wisdom?Plus matchmaking?How could he not just give this to me straightaway?This would help a lot in saving Aoi, plus getting someone to like me despite having these troublesome daikon legs.Without another word, I put the scale in my mouth.

  Hanako-Kun flailed his arms and yelled, "Spit it out!I haven't finished explaining-"

  However, the scale slid down my throat.

  "I already swallowed it."I replied dully, "Now what is it?"

  Hanako-Kun sighs and explains, "You gain strength and wisdom, but you also get cursed.Only when another eats the dragons' scale, then the curse is divided between the two people so there would be a special bond between them."

  "What?!Then why did you not say that earlier?"I asked, horrified.

  "Your the one that defied me and ate it before I explained it fully!"Hanako-Kun replied with an angry tone.

  I crossed my arms, he did have a point.

  "Want to know what the curse is about?"Hanako-Kun asks.

  I nodded.Mind as well find out how bad I screwed up.

  "The curse attracts a certain witch, that the dragon used to be friends with, to come to you and make you her slave for eating her friend."Hanako-Kun said, "To put it simply, you'll turn into an adorable little, living voodoo doll with a slightly darker colour palette that resembles the dragon for your hair and eyes."

  "Then, what do we do?"I asked.

  "Wait here till the witch comes to collect you and I kill her."Hanako-Kun replies simply.

  How can he be so calm and collected?!Well, I guess it is not him that got cursed.I sigh, and agree to his plan.Suddenly, I started shrinking.Seconds later I became a small voodoo doll.My hair was darker in colour.I could not walk though.

  "Good.It seems like she's coming already."Hanako-Kun says.

  A dark shadow is cast upon us from the window.A purple portal appears in front of us and a beautiful witch walked through.She had long, pink hair and eyes of the palest blue.

  "Who has dared to eat the remnants of my friend?"The witch boomed.

  "EEeeek!"I cried.

  The witch turns to Hanako-Kun and I.She's really tall, inhumanly tall.

  "Hmph, an apparition?"The witch says, "Step aside and let me collect that foolish girl behind you."

  Hanako-Kun smiles and replies politely, "I'm afraid you can't do that, Madam.I have not granted this girl's wish yet.So you cannot take her for the time being, I suppose."

  The witch's nostrils flared as she glared at Hanako-Kun.

  "An apparition barely a few decades old dares to defy me, who has lived for centuries?"The witch says.

  "Mhm!"Hanako-Kun replies brightly.

  He then turns to me on the ground and whispers, "Don't worry, I got this."

  Hanako-Kun takes out a knife and a cape envelops him.He smiles brightly at the witch.

  "You have to get through me first, Madam."Hanako-Kun says.

  He jumps towards the witch and slashes her waist.Crimson blood flows from the witch's wound.The witch's eyes widen in shock.

  "How could you defeat me???"She cries.

  "Because I'm the seventh apparition of the seven mysteries-or the most powerful apparitions of this kingdom.And I...am their leader."Hanako-Kun said in a dangerous tone.

  With one final swipe from his knife, the witch's head was cut clean off.Her body turns into ashes and flies out of the window.Sunlight flows into the room again as Hanako-Kun turns to me.He picks up a fallen scale from the bag.He then sticks out his tongue and puts the scale on it.

  "Well, I guess its best if I minimise the curse's effects on you."Hanako-Kun says.

  He then eats the scale, and I return to normal.

  "Hmm, I like your new eyes.Their red now."Hanako-Kun says, raising a mirror to see myself.

  I was suddenly wearing a maroon, red-crimson dress that I had not worn before.Maybe that is from when I turned into the doll.

  "Well, let's go off, shall we?"Hanako-Kun asks, offering me his hand.

  I took his hand appreciatively.

  "Thank you."I said.

  Authors' Notes:Trying to fit this in a medieval setting was rlly fun for me >:D.Like a witch instead of a mermaid cause like I felt like they were so far form the sea and it felt like it'd fit more in the medieval setting.Anyways, next chapter out on Saturday! ❤️✨