"Your outfit is missing something." Uncle Alain scrutinized me.

"What?" I scanned my plain black T-shirt and blue jeans.

"Here, take my Rolex." He removed his watch. "Just for today, you're bound to attract a chick or two with this baby."

It was on my wrist in an instant. "Sweet! You know, I perfected that bad boy persona you taught me last week. Damn, you should've seen the way Aliya asked for my Snap! We're even going on a date tomorrow."

Uncle Alain laughed. "I knew you had it in you, boyo. Though, are you sure Mr. Uptight is gonna let you go out on that date?"

I relaxed in the seat and crossed my legs. "He doesn't have to know it's a date."

"Atta boy." He ruffled my hair.

By the time he told me a couple more tips, we'd arrived at my school.

"Uncle Alain," My shoulders slumped. "I wish I was Cameron."

He gave a mirthful laugh. "Take heart kid, you've got a lot of potential. Besides, Cameron's only four, he can't go on hot dates with Aliya."

I snickered. "Alright, you make a point."

The air was suddenly
pierced with the wailing of sirens and before I knew it, cop cars had formed barricade behind the jeep and the three convoy vehicles. Staring through the back window, I observed cops alighting and drawing out their handguns.

One blared over a megaphone. "Alain Archer, we've got you surrounded!"

"Shit," Uncle Alain raked a hand through his gelled hair. His forehead creased as he donned a frown.

"Alain Archer?" I looked at him. "This must be some kind of mistake, right?"

The megaphone was used again. "You have five seconds to come out of the vehicle with your hands in the air!"

"Uncle," My voice wavered. "What's going on?"

"Nic, trust me and do exactly as I say, alright? Everything's going to be fine. Just do exactly what I say."

I barely nodded.

He spoke to the two men in front. "Radio every man in the convoy to lock and load. Give me a signal when you're done."

"....two! One!"

I followed Uncle Alain out of the car.

"Hands in the air!" The cop barked. "And the rest of you come out of your vehicles, now!"

Uncle Alain slowly raised his hands, eying me to raise mine too. He whispered. "You gonna have to trust me, boyo. I know I messed up but just trust me, even if it's one last time."

My lips quivered with fear. What is he saying? He should tell them they have the wrong guy. That his surname was 'Colin' for God's sake!

"Nic, look at me. When I say 'now', drop to the ground and close your eyes. It doesn't matter if you're ready."

The cops moved in with careful steps. The lead cop still blaring for the other men to alight their vehicles.

"Now!" Uncle Alain dropped on his stomach and I quickly followed suit. I even closed my eyes.

That same moment, I heard car doors burst open and--to my greatest shock--guns firing simultaneously. At first, the shots were coming from behind me but in no time, the cops returned the fire--a deduction from the bangs I could hear in front of me.

My heart ran faster, threatening to burst out of my chest. With every passing second, anxiety welled up inside me. It felt like the scariest nightmare unfolding.

After what seemed like forever, everything stilled.

"All clear, boss." I heard a raspy voice grunt.

"Nic, keep your eyes closed." I heard Uncle Alain rise beside me. "I'll guide you to the school gate."
He helped lift me but I slapped his hand off my shoulder and stared up at him with spite.

"I almost got killed!"

His gaze wasn't fixed on me when he nodded. Suddenly, a rough hand wrapped around my eyes, and I was lifted in a sort of reverse bear hug. The grip was stronger than my thrashing.

"You're too young to see this mess, Nic." I heard Uncle Alain's solemn voice. Then it turned authoritative. "Rex, get him inside the school. Make it quick or we're driving off without you."

I kicked and screamed. For the first time in a while, I was truly scared. No Call of Duty video game could have prepared me for that mortifying experience.

Shell-shocked is what I was. At first, when I was tossed onto the grass of the school's courtyard, I thought Alain Colin was a monster. But as that day proceeded, and I ruminated on the earlier occurrence, I came to the realization that he was the coolest, sickest dude to have ever walked the planet. I still hated him though--for a few years too many.

---- ----
THE PRESENT

I woke up feeling groggy and seeing double, laying on my belly with my right cheek pressed to the ground. There was a little aching in my joints and muscles but I was more concerned about the air I was inhaling. Each breath made my insides feel like they were on fire.

What happened?... I grumbled. Turning my head, I became face to face with a pile of rubble that had a pair of suited legs in loafers sticking out.

A knot formed in my stomach. Uncle Alain...

It all came flooding back to me; the lair, the alien, the battle, Jason.

The wind picked up and my brain finally came to the realization that this wasn't the lair. Still too weak to stand, I craned my head up to analyze the environment.

Way up in the sky was a very bright and majestic red Aurora.

Where am I?

An earthshaking stomp broke my train of thought. It came from behind me. I forced myself to flip over, my back now on the ground.

The source of the stomp was Kazar. Endless cracks lined his hulk-ish form as he stared me down.

"You live," the alien growled. "Ah, but your body cannot withstand the atmosphere for much longer."

"How..." Is all I could wheeze out amidst the burning sensation.

Kazar stooped into a crouching position. "This is the Red Fields of Chargeora. We have the means to make you whole, human. But it will come with a price."