paper

"Maya, you can't take your little brother to the party!" Calum repeated for the twentieth time.

"Sure I can. My brother's cool. Right Caleb?"

"Yeah I'm cool," he nodded. It was easy to talk Caleb into going.
Calum rubbed his temples and sighed. "Fine, but if anything happens, it's on you."

"There's nothing to worry about, it's all good." I thought lying to myself would make me feel better about the whole situation, but I was definitely still freaking out.

\\\

"Caleb, I know you're feeling super cool right now, just a little freshman at a 'big kids party' but don't get all cocky and do something stupid. Make smart choices."

"Make smart choices? Coming from the girl who is taking me to a party?"

"Hey... this never happened," I winked.

"I can't believe you," Calum chuckled. He had finally loosened up about the whole thing after having a drink, or four. 
We arrived at the party and instantly disappeared into the mass of people. I pointed Caleb to the backyard, where some boys were doing a really messy version of basketball. Caleb smiled and made his way to the yard. Calum grabbed a drink and pulled me out into the 'dance floor' which really was a giant group of drunk people bumping all over each other. We danced for a while, it funny watching him attempting to be smooth and do cool dance moves.

"Yo Cal! You came!" a boy called from across the room. Calum and the boy exchanged some weird handshake.

"Are you gonna introduce me to your lady friend?" the boy asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Maya, this is Ethan."

"Hi Maya," he said, pulling me into a hug. A bit overly friendly.

"Hi, nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine," he grinned, "We were just about to start a game. You two want to join?"

"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged. Calum and I followed Ethan into another room where there was a group of people standing in a lopsided circle.

"Okay, you see this piece of paper," Ethan announced, holding it up, "The object of the game is to get it around the circle without dropping it. Only using your lips. You drop the paper, you have to kiss the person next to you. Got it?"

"Oh geez, this is such a 6th grade game," I chuckled.

"It'll be fun," Ethan assured.

I looked around the group, choosing carefully who to stand next to. I finally just decided on going in between Ethan and Calum. Ethan started with the paper, passing it to the girl on the other side of him.The paper continued going around the circle without fail, I was impressed. It reached Calum and he successfully passed it to me. I could feel his warm lips through the paper. As I was passing it to Ethan, he blew on the paper, purposefully knocking it onto the floor.

"Oops," he laughed. He grabbed my face and kissed me roughly.

"Okay, okay. You two are done," Calum said, pulling him off me.

"Whoa, dude, it's just a game," Ethan replied, defensively. "Round two!"

The paper fell several times during this round. People were getting 'clumsier' apparently. Calum sucked the paper to his lips and leaned over to me, but dropped it. Calum grinned at me and slowly went in for the kiss. His kiss was so smooth but at the same time, it had a twist of something hot to it. The kiss soon turned into a little make out. But I was more than happy to kiss him.

"Get a room," Ethan scoffed, "Maya, pass the paper."

I sucked the paper to my lips, trying really hard not to drop it this time. But there he goes again, blowing it.

"Tell me I'm a better kisser than Calum," he whispered, going in for a kiss. I cringed and pulled away.

"Oh, no, I'm good," I said, getting up and walking out. I looked around for my brother but couldn't find him anywhere. I heat rose in my chest and I began to panic.

"Maya! Maya! There you are!" I felt an arm reach out and pull me back. I sighed in relief. It was Caleb.

"You ready to leave?"

"Yes, finally! The girls here are annoying and the guys SUCK at basketball!" he complained.

I felt a hand grab my wrist. Just as I was about to turn around and backhand whoever it was, they released their grip.

"What happened? Where are you going?" It was Calum.

"Your friend is disgusting, I'm going home."

"Wait, please don't leave yet. Come on, let's dance or something. I don't want you to go," he begged.

"I'm really sorry, Calum. Caleb and I need to go."

"Promise me that I'll see you soon?"

"Promise."

I called a taxi to take us back and Caleb told me all about his interesting experience at his first big party. He was ecstatic and talked the whole way home.

"It sounds like you had a better time than I did. But I'm really proud of you for being responsible tonight. You're really growing up," I smiled, ruffling his hair. "I love you buddy."

"I love you too. But do you think I can go to the next party with you? Those girl already invited me to another one and I don't want to let them down..."

"Yeah, no. Nice try."