brother

There was a loud pounding on the bathroom door.

"5 more minutes!" I yelled. That meant at least 20 more minutes. The knocking continued.

"Dude chill!" I said, aggravated already.

Again, more knocking.

"Are you kidding me?" I swung open the door. I was definitely not expecting to see my mom standing in the door way.

"Where do you think your going?" She looked me up and down. I adjusted my dress a little, feeling self conscious.

"I'm going to a party with a... friend." I still wasn't exactly sure what Calum and I were. I thought we were just friends, even though I had the biggest crush on him ever. We're just some friends that made out for a while, that's all.

"Dressed like that?" she shook her head.

"What are you even doing here?" I was tired of her already. I moved out to get away from my parents' nagging. I didn't exactly enjoy their constant visits to my new apartment. Their continuous disapproval brings down the mood. I went from excited to annoyed in 3 seconds.

"Your father and I are going to a show tonight and we need you to watch Caleb."

"I can't tonight."

"You don't have a choice. We can't leave him home alone here," she demanded, "Consider this a favor. I would be embarrassed to go out like that." She motioned for my little brother, Caleb and he slowly appeared in the doorway.

"Hi Maya. I'm sorry," he said quietly.

"We will be back around ten. Love you, bye," my mom waved, blowing kisses. I was furious. B

I gave my little brother a hug and asked him the usual dull questions and he gave me the usual dull answers. I felt bad for leaving him in that hell hole of a house, I knew he was miserable living with my mom and her new-and-improved second husband. 

"I'm really sorry I ruined your plans," he repeated.

"You didn't ruin anything. I'm still going out."

"You can't leave me alone, Maya!"

"And I'm not going to. You can come with me."

"Really?"

"Yeah, why not?" I shrugged. What could go wrong? A lot.