Chapter 18

After what happened on Friday, Max wasn't allowed to see me anymore but we made it work. "Psst hey Millie over here" Max whispered. I looked up from the book to see max from out my window "what are you doing here, what I'd you get caught" I whispered back Grayson shrugged as I walked over to open my window. Max climbed though "Max I don't know about this'll I said unsure "it's fine my dads not gonna stop me from seeing you "Max laughed "anyway look what I found!" Max said as he pulled out a piece of paper from his back pocket "what is it?" I asked "it's a note" Mac said as he began to read. "I'm sorry about that night I'm sorry I couldn't help you please forgive me from" max stopped "from who?" I asked as I stepped closer to see "I don't know it's smudged" max said looking up at me "let me see" I said grabbing it from his hands. "I can't make out what it says it's not use" I said as I plopped on my bed "maybe we can try and trace it" max said as he sat next to me then he traced. "I got it" max said cheerfully "who's it from?" I asked "it says from dad" max said looking at me "who is it for?" I asked "it's for someone named millie"- max said with a confused look on his face "wait, let me see that" I said as I turned to him as he handed me the paper. My jaw dropped "this was for me" I said with a look on my face "but my dad died before the accident" I said looking at the note confused. "Um thanks kinda freaky" max said "yeah" I said unsure what to do. "We'll I'm going to go to bed" I said "okay" max said As I hugged him then kissed him on the cheek "goodnight" I said as he walked away.

When I woke up everyone was gone. I couldn't find anyone. The house was empty "max!" I called out but no reply. I walked in his room to find his dead body on the floor "max" I cried as I ran to him "nooo" I woke up frozen like I was locked in my own body my heart was in my throat i was unable to breathe. It was just a dream. I told myself it was just a dream. I managed to get control over my breathing. I heard my door open "millie are you okay" it was max. "Oh yeah I'm fine" I said "I heard you scream?" Max said "oh yeah sorry I woke you up I just had a nightmare" I said quietly Max walked over and sat on my bed he put his hand on my cheek "are you okay?" he asked softly "yeah I'm fine" I said "can I have a hug?" I asked "anytime" max said as he hugged me "are you okay going back to sleep?" He paused to look at the time "it's 4am" he looked back at me. "No I think I'll just stay up" I said Grayson nodded as he turned on my tv "what do you want to watch?" Max asked "um on Netflix just press whatever on my continue watching" I said sitting on my bed "okay" max said then he started heading to the door "wait" I said max turned around "you up for some monopoly?" I asked maxto look at me before saying "I haven't played that in so long" then he walked over and sat on the floor. We spent hours playing and playing the games went on forever until I heard a knock on the door. The door opened "hey can you keep it down here I'm trying to sleep" Grayson said still half asleep "sorry Grayson"I said "what's are you guys even doing at 7 in the morning?!" Grayson asked. max didn't even acknowledge him at this point. "Millie had a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep so we decided to play monopoly in the meantime" maxreplied. Grayson took a step closer. "What kind of nightmare?" Grayson asked concerned "yeah, what kind of nightmare?" Max repeated what Grayson said "it was just kinda a fear of mine in this big house" I said avoiding eye contact. "If you don't feel comfortable telling us that's okay but we would like to know" said max Grayson nodded agreeing with max.

I took in a breath when my eyes met max's "a got a note a little while ago the first day when I moved in" I said looking from Grayson to max. Grayson and Max both looked at each other then me as Grayson stood up and so did I. "What, why did you look at each other?" I asked, trying to stay calm, "what did the note say?" Max stepped away from the door and walked over to me and Grayson. I stood there trying to remember where I put the note. Grayson walked closer to me and put his hands on my face "I know this might be scary but you need to tell us so we can help you" Grayson said softly. "Yeah, o-okay" I said as Grayson took his hands away. I walked over to my dresser as I pushed it aside, uncovering a vent in the floor. "Is that a vent?" Grayson asked "no it's a bowl of fruit" max said sarcastically "I was just asking" Grayson complained "stop, both of you" I hissed as I unscrewed the vent and pulled out a piece on paper. "What does it say?" Grayson asked impatiently I walked towards then then opened it. "I know where you are if you try to hide I will find you if you try and run you will just make things worse" I read. I looked up at Grayson. Grayson and Max looked at each other then looked back at me. "Where did you get this? And when." Max insisted on an answer "the first day I moved here, at my patio, well Emily's patio now" I said. As I could see Grayson eyeing the paper. "Who do you think could have written this?" Max asked "how would she do now?" Grayson glared at max like it was an obvious question. "I don't know, I thought maybe she could have an idea" Grayson argued. "Guys!" I yelled trying to stop the arguing. They both turned to me, stepping away from each other. "I never told you because I didn't want all this bickering" I said, trying not to raise my voice. They stayed silent as their faces turned red from embarrassment. "Please just help me, I'm scared and idk what to do" I said hopelessly grayson walked over to me and gave me a hug "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you" grayson apologized it was hard to stay mad at him. "It's okay you didn't upset me I was just frustrated" I said as he pulled away then kissed me on my head "I'm going to try to help you, we both will" Grayson said softly. Max's face turned red as he stood in the corner as he cleared his throat. I stepped back then I walked towards max .I grabbed his hand "and thank you so very much for standing up for me that's night with Emily" I said as I looked into his hazel eyes. We stood there for a sec then he backed up "your welcome" his face turned bright red "I should get um-going" max said awkwardly then he quickly walked out.

After that day max has been avoiding me. I have no idea why. I walked over to his room "max " I knocked on the door, then I walked in I saw max laying on his bed listening to music from his phone "Max" I repeated max sat up and took out his AirPods "hey sorry for bothering you" I said gently "no your fine" max said as I walked and sat next to him on his bed "what's up?" Max asked "you've been avoiding me, why?" I accused. he stared at me in silence. "I haven't" max challenged "fine you wanna act like you don't know what I'm talking about, you haven't shows up to any of the group stuff and have been in your room all day even when i see you you turn and walk the other way" I looked at him in his bright hazel eyes why would he do this?

"I'm sorry if you think I'm avoiding you" max paused "I haven't it's just I think we've met before you moved here" I turned to him "what" I didn't know what to say was he who I think he is? "Are you"-"yeah I am" max interrupted I just stared at him in shock. I hugged him and it took him a sec then he hugged me back. "I've missed you" I said looking at him "I did to when you moved I thought I would never see you again" max said softly I smiled as I got a little closer "I'm so glad you back in my life" max smiled but then he stood up "wait, aren't you with my brother?" I looked at him "no I'm not-where not. I think of him as a brother, okay" I said. He just looked at me "really" he said unsure "yes he's like a brother to me" I reassured him then he walked up and hugged me.