Chapter 17

The next morning I woke up in a different room. I sat up to see max sitting in a chair at the desk in front of me on his phone. "Max?" I said "yeah" he turned around "why am I here?" I asked "Emily kicked you out of your room so I let you sleep in my room while I stepped on the couch" max said as he stood up I looked at him still half asleep then i stood up as he walked towards me. He handed me a hoodie and shorts "here put this on" he said "okay" I said then walked to the bathroom. When I came out I decided to stop at Emily's room. I opened the door to see Emily sitting on the bed "hey 'em"-"don't call me that" Emily cut me off "sorry, Emily can I talk to you" I said as I sat next to her on the bed. "I think you made it pretty clear you don't like me so what's there to talk about" she said as she looked at the floor. "Look I'm sorry after you hit me I was just upset and I said things I could have said nicer but please let me explain" I said she nodded. "Look I love you but as a friend I just don't feel the same" I said looking at her "you're just saying that because you like max" said Emily. "Yes I do like him but I just don't think we belong together" I said "oh I see" said Emily as her eyes filled with tears once again and her face turned bright red I turned to her "Emily I think we should just be friends" i said looking a her "I don't think that would work" Emily didn't show any emotion "Emily please I don't want to lose you!" I cried "well if you didn't want to lose me so bad we wouldn't be in this situation"

Emily didn't want to hear what i had today "I should get going" I got up and walked out. It was time for breakfast but Emily didn't show up for lunch or dinner. (Ding dong) I slid down the railing of the stairs then I opened the door to see Jazmin. I hugged her "why did you come here?" I was surprised. "The question is why are you here?"jaz asked. "because long story short we-I got a note to come here and now I'm living here" I smiled "oh my god and you didn't tell me" said jaz "I'm sorry I forgot, but anyway your here now so" I smiled "come in" I said as I brought her to her room. "This is your room" I told Jazmin "oh wow it's so big and pretty" said Jazmin "yeah I don't know how or why but they said this is my house for the meantime till someone gets back I guess even though I'm only 16 so legally it's under your name till I'm 18 because you're my legal guardian" I told jaz "oh okay" jaz paused the continued "where Emily" asked jaz "we broke up" I said jaz turned to me "what why?" She asked. "I kissed max'' I said looking down at my shoes "you did what? With who?" She asked "one of the people that work here's son max we got locked in the meat freezer and he kissed me." I said she stared at me blankly "do you like him?" She asked one question at a time "yes I really do" I replied "did you kiss him before you found out Emily liked you?" She asked "yes" I replied she looked at me "that's good at least' ' she said as she hugged me.

That night I was getting ready for bed when I got a knock at my door it was max opened it "I see you got a new room" he smiled as he stepped in "I like what you did with it" he said looking at all my decorations. "Why are you here?" I asked, trying to keep it straight forward. "I wanted to show you something he said as his eyes slowly turned to mine. "Okay" I said as he grabbed my hand. He put his hands over my eyes the Entire time so I had no idea where we were. "3 2 1" he said then he lifted his hands off my eye "woah this is the prettiest thing I have ever seen" I said mesmerized. "I know right this is my favorite spot" he said as he smiled "I can see why" I replied. We were on a hill looking down at the city. He turned to look at me "why did you bring me here" I asked "with the whole Emily thing I thought you could use a distraction" max said smiling "so is what you said true?" He said softly I looked into his eyes ''is cwhat is true?" I replied "about what you said to your sister" he said looking at me I looked away avoiding eye contact he tilted my chin towards him "yes" I said "I like you and i know you probably don't because i just met you and"- he cut me off "I like you" he blushed. "should head back before we get yelled at" said Grayson "yeah your right"I said as I stood up then we walked back. I quietly opened the door to see Jazmin Max and Emily waiting for us. "Where did you go?" Asked Jazmin, I looked at Max. I grabbed his hand and turned around and walked out. Grayson stopped us "where were. you!" He yelled as we turned around. "Look max just showed me his favorite spot that shows the views that's it" I said "what happened tell the truth" jaz said I stepped toward jaz "that's what happened i don't know what more you want from me" I said as I walked past her with max next to me.

The next morning, I remembered why I was here in the first place to get clues.

In the morning I got up and dressed then went to the hill. The one max showed me I need to think I need to get clues. I sat down at dawn, the beautiful sun rising in the east, this was what I needed. After about ten minutes max.showed up. "Oh nice to see you here" Max said joyfully "yeah I was hoping to get some peace and quiet" I said avoiding eye contact. Max sat down beside me "I wanted to talk" he said looking at me "well I don't" I said looking away "please Millie look at me and let me talk" max said gently I knew this meant a lot to him. "I'm sorry" I said turning to him "for being a jerk to you, you've been nothing but nice to me" max looked into my eyes. "Millie, look I really like you" max said taking in a breath "but I can't tell if you feel the same" I could tell he was hurt and I felt bad. "Look gray I like you I do"-he cut me off "then why are you avoiding me." He asked "because I just need a distraction from everything"- as I looked into his eyes I remembered why I was here clues."Max this can't happen" I looked into his eyes "what do you mean?" He asked "I mean this can't happen, we can't happen" he looked hurt "why?I thought we liked each other" he said softly. "And we do but I don't know how long I can stay here and I don't want to hurt you" I put my arms on his shoulder. "You won't hurt me if you have to leave, I'd understand" he said softly "okay then" I said then I hugged him. I heard footsteps. I didn't know what to do "max?!" A man said I pulled away And we both turned to him "dad!" His dad looked at Max then to me "what are you doing here and who are you!?" He yelled "this is my favorite spot and this is Millie, her dad owns this house we work for" max said I looked at him confused but I didn't say anything "doesn't mean you can sneak out behind my back who do i know all you were doing was hugging!" Max'sdad snapped. Max looked at me, "do you trust me?" He whispered "absolutely not" I replied "great" max said as he grabbed my hand and ran. We ran all the way back to the house and into my room. "What the heck were you thinking?" I said as I pulled my hand away from him "now he hates me even more!" I yelled at Max . "I'm sorry I panicked I didn't know what to say" Grayson said innocently "ugh fine I guess that what a better decision than staying" I said shrugging.