Chapter 15

2033

"Jaz get up, I found something!" I said staring at jaz from the doorway "ugh okay" jaz said as she got up still half asleep. I led her to my dad's old room. When my dad moved out my grandma never got rid of his old room because she just never had the time. Why are we on dads old room" she asked wide awake "I found something under the painting" I said as I pulled out an old note." Woah what is that?" Asked jaz "I think it's an old note" I said as I opened it "well, what does it say!?" Asked Jazmin "it says" I pushed then continued "what can run but can't walk?" I stopped then continued. '"What can you lift but can't throw? And what had 6 faces and 21 eyes?" I looked up at jaz "it's a riddle" we both said at the same time "okay let's think what can run but can't walk?" Said jaz I looked at her blankly "I have no idea" I said looking at her "wait Emily is Amazing at solving riddles" I said as I quickly ran to my room as the floor creaked from underneath me. I picked up my phone then called Emily "hey Emily" I said "hey love how are you?" Asked Emily I smiled then remembered why I called "Emily I need your help meet me at my house at 5" I said firmly it went silent for a sec before she replied. She took a breath before saying "sure" "thanks I'll see you then"-Emily cut me off "wait, did I do something?" She asked me to stop processing what she had said. "what?" I said, confused. My heart is racing 100 miles per hour.

"When I asked you how you were doing you kinda just ignored me" said Emily my eyes widened as I understood what she said "no, Emily it's not that I just need your help I'm so sorry love" I said. Emily smiled. "Okay I'll be there in a sec" said Emily then hung up. I slid across the hard wood floor over to jaz's room. "We'll?" Asked Jaz impatiently "she will be here any minute" I smiled. (Ding dong) Emily's here! I thought then slid down the railing of the stairs then swung open the door. "Emily" I said as I hugged her "I've missed you so much since you've taken a break from school" said Emily "me too it gets kinda lonely around here when jaz is at school" I said as I glanced back at jaz. Jaz rolled her eyes at me then smiled "I'm right here you know" she said me and Emily looked at each other before laughing "sorry" we both said smiling "you too are so cute together" said jaz "stop jaz you're embarrassing me" I said embarrassed avoiding eye contact. "Jaz remember why we're here" jaz said ltrying to keep me focused. "Right, why am I here?" Asked Emily "okay" I pushed then grabbed Emily's hand as we walked to jaz's room.''we found a riddle behind the painting in my dads old room" I said as I showed it to her "we need help figuring it out" I said "okay I should be able to figure it out, let me see what we're working with" Emily said as she grabbed the paper from my hand. "What can run, but can't walk" she said, pacing back and forth "what can run but can't walk" she repeated "I got it!" Emily stops pacing. "What can walk but can't run" the room filled with silence "a river!" She said me and jaz looked at her confused. "A river?" I asked skeptical. "Yes a river runs non stop water but can't walk" Emily explained "oh!" Yelled jaz "that makes sense,when a river is moving it's called running water" as said stating the obvious. "Oh yeah I guess that makes more sense," I said, acting like I knew it all along. "But what river?" I asked. Jaz grabbed my hand as Emily followed us to dads old room. She walked over to the wall in the back behind his bed. She moved the bed over to see a map. "There are two rivers circled on this map. We should split up and search both rivers" said jaz pointing to the map. I nodded. "Who's going with who?" Emily asked, "I'll go with Emily." I volunteered. "Sure go ahead I'll go to Eagle River you go to the colorado river" said jaz pointing to where the river is, I took a picture of the map.

"Millie," Emily said, staring at me from the front seat "huh,what?" I said sitting up in confusion "are you alright you where zoned out" said Emily "yeah I'm fine I was just daydreaming" I said. Emily opened her mouth like she was about to say something then stopped "we're here!" Said Emily as she hopped out of the car. After an hour hike we finally made it to the colorado river. "Hey look there's a boat over there!" Emily called out. I didn't respond. her hair blew in the wind, her bright blue eyes shining in the sun. "Millie?" I blinked and all of a sudden she was right in front of me. She put her hands on my shoulders "Millie im worried about you" she said i didn't look up I just stared at her bright red converse. "Millie, even when you're here with me you're never really here" she said as she brought her hands to my face I looked up "Emily" I said quietly "yes" she said looking at me"I love you your my best friend, so I thought you should know" I said. She stepped back as I unzipped my sweater. I put my hand on my stomach and she put her hand to my face "Millie, who did this to you?!" A tear fell down her face "Millie!?" She yelled in tears "who did this to you?!" She took her hand away then put it on my wound. "Your dad stabbed me when you went to the car when we were at my house" I said she stared at me as tears kept rolling down her face "oh my god! Why didn't you tell me" she cried "I didn't want to scare you" now I was crying. "We need to get you help" she cried "no not until we find what we're looking for here" I said "fine then we are getting you help" she said as she took off her sweater then tied it over my wound. We walked over to the boat that had a note on it. I bent down and picked it up then read. "Not bad now find a map" "a map?" Asked Emily "yeah I guess" i said "do you see one?" I asked "yeah over here" Emily said as she picked up a map "there another note" she said "there are more clues more riddles to find here are two tickets you must go now to find what you are looking for" Emily read "what where?" I asked "it's to Jazmin island and it leaves tomorrow at 5am" said Emily "woah okay let's go" I said "slow down, we need to take you to the hospital" said Emily as she grabbed my arm then we walked to the car. Once we got to the hospital.

"So what happened here and who did this to you?!" Asked the doctor.

Me and Emily looked at each other "her father" I said I looked at Emily and mouthed "I'm sorry" she nodded then I looked back at the doctor. The doctor nodded then called 911. The doctor walked back on "he got arrested so you won't have to worry about him anymore" said the doctor. Emily's eyes filled with tears "it's for the best" said emily. After that I got all stitched up then me and Emily got on our flight.