Chapter Nineteen.

[A/N: So little note, Silence (which is the pacific fanfic connected to this story) will be published soon with 2-5 chapters written for it at the time of publishing. However, while thinking about this story and silence, I believe what's best to cover our ocs (JJ, Peggy, and Kezia) postwar situations and so forth, is there will be a sequel that merges all three girls' stories together in one despite their locations at the end of each story. I think it'll be better because eventually, they will intertwine for various reasons and it's easier for me to manage and organize that way. Anyway, I'm gonna get down on working on Silence which will hopefully be posted sometime soon.]

Rest in peace, now get up and go to war.

That's what Peggy's father did during the Great War. It was hell, so, he told himself that every morning and as a result (whether or not it was because of what he uttered to himself), he made it through the war. Peggy followed in her father's footsteps, thinking that to herself every morning, hoping those words would get her out alive just like they did her father. But...it made her wonder, did Jamie's father have something of this like for his time during the Great War? She was sure her cousin Kezia's father did as well, given his time in the great war and his transition to the field of anthropology he went into and that Kezia followed him into, he and she understood the importance of words and what they meant. The woman let out a breath from where she sat on a bench, fumbling with the dog tags in her hands. Dogtags that were not her own, she was so stuck in her thought she barely heard the footsteps of Winters before he sat down next to her with a small sigh. "Nix told me you were asking around for me, what's wrong, Peggy?" Winters asked softly, placing a gentle hand on his friend's shoulder, a small frown on his face when he looked at her. Something was off.

"We...we're heading out soon, but I needed to do something I've been holding off for some time but I can't do it alone." Peggy swallowed hard and finally spoke up, turning her gaze to Winter's who was growing even more concerned.

"Okay." Winters uttered with a nod.

"One of my guys...this was his," Peggy says, holding up the dogtags while Winters looked at them with a small frown. "On our last drop together, Private Charles Andrew went MIA, presumed dead for six months by...us. It's what we told his family, what I wrote to his family before I joined easy. He was MIA until this morning, I received this from Monty." She explained to Winters, referring to General Montgomery as she pulled out a letter from her pocket and passed it over to Winters who read it.

"Jesus...he was killed en route to a POW camp." Winters sighed, running a hand down his face but that's when it hit him. "They want you to tell the family because you knew him." He realized and Peggy cleared her throat but nodded.

"Yeah...Andrew is...my distant cousin on my father's side." Peggy revealed which made Winters stop in surprise, that he didn't know. "I tried to ask them to get Kezia to send a letter instead of me talking to them but...they didn't want that." She tells him calmly while rubbing her hands together anxiously, Winters only knew of Kezia, Marie, and her father being in the military right now besides Peggy herself. He didn't realize she had that much family out there fighting right now. "They know we're both in contact with her and apparently it's too dangerous to try and get letters like that, non-priority, out of the Pacific from their position right now." She added, knowing letters between Winters and Kezia, if they were being written and sent would be easier.

"You want me to go with you to give the bad news?" Winters guessed and Peggy pressed her lips together in a thin line.

"Dick, I would hate to put you in this position but...you get it and I don't want to ask JJ," Peggy says with shaky breath and Winters reaches forward, taking his friend's hand in his own. "God knows what nightmares this'll put in her head about her brother. Charles was his age. George...he doesn't need to experience this, none of them need to know what it's like to give someone's mother the worst news of their life." She breathed and Winters squeezed her hand gently, he understood completely and he would do this for her.