Chapter Nine.

"Sergeant Valentine, Private Jacobi." the voice of Vest spoke up, the two women out on the tarmac with the others the next day preparing for the jump. It was June 5th and today was the day they were finally jumping into France. Roe was soon going to be passing out airsickness pills while Jamie and Peggy kept an eye on Bill from a distance. The man had yet to approach Jamie yet, all three very well knew how close Jackson and Henry had grown through their letters to their siblings. They had become brothers, best friends and with Jackson's friend Kenny, a trio. Jamie and Peggy's gazes were snapped from Bill to Vest who stood near the women. "Colonel Sink needs to see you both in his office." He informed them, the two women exchanging looks before nodding. They followed Vest to Sink's office before stepping inside where the older man sat at his desk.

"Sergeant, Private." Sink nodded his head, the two saluting the man. "Please sit, I have some news." He gestured to the chairs in front of his desk, Peggy and Jamie frowned and shared a look that made him chuckle. "Don't worry, it's good news." Sink assured them calmly.

"Oh." they both said.

"First to start with you, Sergeant Valentine." Sink smiled and looked over at Peggy. "Lieutenant Winters and Nixon have both given you high regard and compliments, I've heard the same from Meehan as well." He explains to Peggy who glances at Jamie with a frown, the woman merely shrugging in return. "In return, I have seen fit based on their recommendations, to promote you to Second Lieutenant," Sink announced with a wide smile, Jamie grinned and beamed while Peggy sat there in shock.

"I-I-I..." She stuttered unsure of what to say, Jamie nudging her with her foot. Peggy cleared her throat and stood up, shaking Sink's hand when he stood as well. "Thank you, sir. You won't regret it." Peggy smiled widely.

"I know I won't, Lieutenant. Your file of your previous work and your work with Easy and Lieutenant Nixon shows this." Sink smiled back, shaking her hand in return before looking at Jamie. "Now, Private Jacobi. I've gotten recommendations from the Lieutenant's as well, but the field surgeons you have clinical with, they are very impressed and proud of you." He started to say to Jamie while Peggy smirked widely. "I've seen fit to promote you to Corporal and I'd say it's about damn time. You've earned it." Sink smiled proudly while Jamie gaped in shock and Peggy looked down at her.

"Get up and shake his hand. You should be proud!" Peggy exclaimed, forcing her friend to stand up and Jamie shook his hand.

"Thank you so much, sir. I'm...shocked, honestly." Jamie admitted to Sink who chuckled lightly.

"Your father would be proud, very proud, Corporal." Sink complimented which made Jamie beam and he glanced at Peggy. "Yours as well, Lieutenant. I'm quite proud of you both, everyone should be." He tells them honestly, the two women sharing smiles and the man nods. "You are dismissed, good luck to you both." Sink nods and the women saluted before leaving the room where they headed back to the tarmac where the others were, passing by Winters and Nixon on the way.

"Lieutenant Valentine. Corporal Jacobi." Nixon grinned and called out. "Right? Just want to make sure I'm calling my partner and our wonderous medic the right ranks." He and Winters stepped over to the two women who stopped.

"Yes, Lewis. Don't worry, you're correct." Peggy quipped which made Winters snort.

"Congratulations, Margaret. And to you too, JJ." Winters smiled at them, Peggy smiling and patting his arm.

"Thank you, Dick. I heard you gave us high regards." Peggy smiled back, Winters shrugging while Nixon laughed.

"Yeah, because you deserved it. Both of you." Nixon replies.

"I do, don't I. I've busted my ass at this work." Jamie says smugly, grinning and crossing her arms. Nixon snickered and started laughing while Winters rolled his eyes but smiled and Peggy chuckled.