Chapter Fifteen.

"Harriet! Harriet!" Joe shook Jamie gently, the woman curled up in a ball from the rain and sleeping. However, she wasn't sleeping soundly and the machine gunner could see that. It was obvious to him the woman was having some type of nightmare right. "Jamie! Jamie, wake up!" He said again, his voice a little louder but not too loud. Jamie was startled awake and looked at Joe confused, the man looking down at her with a worried and concerned expression on his face, some confusion as well. "Are you okay?" Joe asks her with a frown of concern, Jamie clears her throat and shifts in her spot, sitting up and looking at Joe.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." Jamie nodded before she looked at Joe confused. "Why'd you wake me? Is something wrong?" She asked him, did something happen? She was confused why the man had woken her up, Joe had told her to get some sleep and he'd stay awake to let her rest until it was her time to stay awake.

"Jamie, you were having a nightmare. I could tell." Joe replied with a worried expression and Jamie's eyebrows raised. He always called her Harriet unless he was very concerned or worried or...pissed. Jamie shifted and crossed her arms and Joe sat there, waiting for her to say something. "What the hell were you dreaming about that was making you shake so bad? Hell, I heard you crying." He questioned her worriedly and Jamie bit the inside of her cheek, wiping her eyes where she felt some wetness on her cheeks from tears. She didn't know if she wanted to say something, but she also thought about her mother. Her mother would tell her that talking about sooner rather than later was better.

"The german soldier," Jamie said quietly, Joe's frown deepening at that.

"German soldier? What german soldier you talkin' about?" Joe said and Jamie sighed, glancing down at her hands.

"The one I killed on D-Day," Jamie admitted, Joe moving and sitting down next to Jamie. "The one I killed on D-Day when I was by myself and trying to find everyone else." She clarified and looked at Joe now, the man's eyes widening knowing exactly what soldier now she was referring to.

"The one you killed in self-defense, Jamie." Joe reminded her calmly but Jamie just scrunched up her face and Joe's eyebrows furrowed. "He tried to kill you."

"I know!" She nearly exclaimed, letting her hands fall to her side. "I know, Joe, but it still bothers me. I never wanted to hurt anyone, much less kill them out here. I'm a medic my job is to help people. It's why the chance I had, I gave my gun to George. I didn't want to hold onto it anymore." Jamie explained to Joe who was silent but listening intently to what she had to say. Her eyes flickered to Joe and the man gave a small nod for her to continue. "I've been having nightmares about it since it happened, it's hard to want to sleep when you have them." She muttered, Joe exhaling and rubbing his face.

"Jesus, Jamie. Why didn't you tell anyone? Anyone like Eugene or Peggy?" Joe asked her confused, looking down at her.

"I didn't want to bother them! It's not that important!" Jamie retorted, crossing her arms and looking away from him.

"Yes, it is! If you don't sleep you can't function as a fucking medic, Jamie! You know that!" Joe argued and Jamie scowled at him knowing this was probably the start of one of their arguments. Friends or not, she and Joe still buttheads about things and more often others were around to calm them down and have them talk it out calmly (Eugene, Bull, and Peggy being those who stopped them). "How can you be that stupid?! You know sleep is important, your job saves lives! Goddammit, Jamie! What the hell you doin' keeping this to yourself?!" He snapped before sighing and immediately regretting those words, Jamie jerked her head away and looked down.

"Yeah, I'm stupid, thanks." Jamie said lowly, Joe pinched the bridge of his nose and grimaced. He grabbed her chin gently and forced her to look at him.