Sixteen

Honesty is the best policy

⤜━𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠 🌹 𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠

Jessie Hanson

The school day passed in a blur. My bundles of joy, that's what the kids have become, were so excited it was recorder day.

My ears - not so much.

And I was sure the parents were going to hate me for sending them home with them.

But that was third grade. Normally I'm with the middle schoolers all day but something weird was in the air. The other music teacher called out, leaving me to fill my day with kids of all ages. Even my lunch break was interrupted by a class.

Luckily, though, I had no appetite.

Last night had me combing through ovulation and period trackers on the internet as I tried to come to terms with not buying Plan B. I'm broke, trying to save as much money as I could to get out of Oliver's, I didn't need this set back.

It was also eye opening. I had to get my life back under control. I had all the tools, a decent paying job, a friend I could confide in even if she was annoying as all hell recently and my own mental health. Though the last one is kind of rocky.

I just had to make some changes.

Starting today.

"Ms. H?" One of the boys in my class approached my desk, a frown plastered to his face as he clung to his backpack for dear life. He was one of my quiet ones, barely asked for help even if it was evident he needed it.

There were so many times I saw him struggling and he would never admit it. He'd been like this since I started at the beginning of the year and it didn't take me long to realize his lack of confidence was because of a home issue.

Same, buddy.

Probably not physical abuse. He never showed up with bruises or even a long sleeve in the summer months but there was something deep in his mind that even he was hiding from.

"What's up, Benny?" I placed my cup of coffee down. My fourth of the day and surely not my last after the lack of sleep.

"I think I'm going to drop music and I don't want you thinking you're the reason." He shrugged his backpack handle higher to his shoulder and huffed, "My dad wants me to do more sports and I need a study period if I do that because I won't have time after school for homework or projects."

My eyebrows scrunched, lips pursed.

"Benny, if you drop music you won't have enough electives to graduate when you become a senior in the next few years. Unless you pick up an extra elective before them."

"I know but I'll figure it out before then, Ms. H." He faked a smile, flopping his hair to the side with a shake of his head. "I just wanted to tell you why. You've honestly been my favorite teacher this year."

My heart was ready to explode. Emotions from last night sneaking up on me, coating my eyes in a thick fog I was sure was going to spill at any moment. The mug in my hand was my life support as I took in his meaningful, single sentence. A favorite teacher. It was always a goal but hearing it for the first time in my career..

I approached him carefully, not wanting to look like I'm doing something wrong as I gave him half a hug.

Let's avoid any rumors even if all I want to do is hug one of my students.