Fifteen

Surprises

⤜━𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠 🌹 𝕩𝕠𝕩𝕠

Jessie Hanson

"Sarah, come on." I groaned, dragging her away from Justin. Her arm was slung over his, gripping it as if her lifeline and in, a poor attempt, to drunkenly go back to his place even though we were already at our doorstep.

She was multiple shots in, unlike her and I couldn't stop myself from thinking that Justin had something to do with it.

There was no way I'd let her out of my sight now.

Her overprotective ass is rubbing off on me because as soon as I saw her take the last drink, I knew I'd have to be the mama bear. I'd hold her hand and ensured she made it into bed with a blanket on top of her and a puke bucket within reach.

And I damn well know, she'd do the same for me. Hell, she has done the same for me.

Lucas had left the bar early. My last words to him stung, the grimace on his face was all I could see even as he faked a smile and made up a horrible excuse to leave.

But it was the truth.

How could he not see it? Hiding a secret relationship, no, it's not even a relationship - it's a situationship. He hasn't even asked me to be his exclusively.

And maybe it's because I work with younger kids, but I want to hear him ask me to be his girlfriend. There should be no assuming, even if all I want is him right now.

"Thanks for the help, Justin, but I got it from here." I meekly smiled at the man who's been eyeballing my best friend all night. My fake cheerful attitude was about to fade into nonexistence if he waited around us any longer and I was sure he was trying to.

"No problem." He flexed his arm, leaning against the door while I fought to find my keys in my bag. Sarah flayed around, making her balancing issue mine.

"You know, if you and Lucas don't work out.." He trailed off, smiling wider while I glared him down. No matter if Sarah was hiccupping down her throw up, she was still coherent in some way.

"Stop." I demanded with a shake of my keys in my finger, my voice booming with power.

"I'm just saying," Justin shrugged, making sure I saw his biceps press against his shirt, "I wouldn't keep us hidden. I'd fuck you in front of the whole bar if you wanted me to. Sarah can join too, so she doesn't get lonely."

What a gentleman.

I couldn't stop the laugh that echoed from my lips, "The funny thing is, your best friend beat you to that already tonight."

The door was shoved open by my foot but I didn't dare miss his shocked expression before slamming it shut behind us.

Tonight has been aggravating enough before that. I was too drained to even try to wrangle Sarah into her bed. Instead, I flopped her onto the couch, taking off her shoes and putting a throw blanket over her body.

She was passed out before her head even hit the cushion.

Even if she wasn't wrapped like a burrito, it was a good enough job that I was calling it a night. Walking towards my room, I peaked down the dimly lit hallway. Seeing Luke's door shut made my heart twist in a painful, agonizing way. For a moment, I almost grasped my chest to coo it to rest instead of bleeding out.