CHAPTER 33

Chapter 33

Lori’s POV

I woke up to both my parents staring excitedly in my face.”Ah.” I jumped up and backed away putting some space between us.

“Happy Birthday,” they said in unison and started to sing happy birthday. I groaned covering my face behind my hands. My parents were such dorks, but I am so grateful to have them.

“Thanks guys,” I laughed hugging them when they finished.

“Get ready, we have a surprise for you,” Mom said excitedly kissing my forehead before getting up. Dad did the same and they both left to give me time to get ready.

Today was my birthday. I was finally 18. A couple weeks ago I would have been bouncing off the walls excited for this day, but now, it just feels like another crappy day. I'm now 18 whoopee, it doesn’t make up for the fact that I lost my best friend. I still don’t know how to cope with that fact.

What if he forgot my birthday? I mean I wouldn’t be surprised if he was too busy with his new girlfriend to even remember what day it was today. I shook my head shaking away those thoughts. I can’t afford to think like that. Not today. I don’t want to be a burden my parents today.

I sighed finally getting out of bed and got ready for school. I was so not looking forward to another day of avoiding Eric. It was getting harder each time. I want to talk to him, but I can’t bring myself to look him in the eyes without bursting into tears.  

After I took a shower and got ready I went downstairs to the kitchen where both Mom and Dad were seated around the island smiling brightly at me. I chuckled and went to join them around the table that was covered with food.

“I made your favorites,” Mom beamed. I laughed as I looked around at all the choices of food. There were scrambled eggs, with French toast and some bacon, a plate of blueberry waffles and pancakes, and a bowl of fruits.

“Mom, Dad, it’s just my birthday, it’s not like I cured cancer or anything,” I joked.

She laughed and placed her hands over mine. “We know, we’re just so proud of the beautiful, incredible woman you’re becoming, we love you honey,” Mom said tearing up at the end. I felt tears of my own threatening to come.

“I love you guys too,” I whispered taking both their hands and squeezing tightly.

After breakfast my parents practically dragged me outside to show me my ‘surprise.’ I knew I was getting a car, but I still went along with it.

“Close your eyes,” Mom whispered covering my eyes and leading me outside. “Ok, you may open your eyes now.” She released her hands and I opened my eyes and my jaws fell as I stood there gawking at my new car.

“I love it,” I screamed hugging them quickly before running over to my new Honda CRV. Holy cow it was beautiful.

“A year ago we were settled with getting you a truck…but I think you’re more of a girl than we thought” dad said chuckling teasingly. Mom hit him in the stomach scowling him. “What?” he asked confused. I laughed. I didn’t care what car I got, it was mine and I loved it.

“I love it you guys, thank you,” I grinned running to hug them again.

“Alright how about you hop in that beauty of yours and drive yourself to school before you’re late,” Dad teased winking at me as he threw me the keys. I caught it easily and forced a smile. The mentioning of school made my stomach churn. I really don’t want to go to school today. If it was up to me I’d ask to be homeschooled and spend the rest of my high school life cooped up in my house so I didn’t have to go through anymore torture.