#74. Jujutsu Kaisen - Yuuta/Toge) Misunderstood

Summary
Cursed Speech puts a lot of pressure on a user's body. At first, it just hurts a little when your use it. After a while, it can become unbarable. And if you embed too much power into a word, it can even backfire so much you can lose the ability to speak.

The latter happens to Toge Inumaki, when in an attempt to save his new friend Yuuta, he forces his body past its limits. The consequences are major. Toge has always felt misunderstood by strangers, but now that he's standing face to face with Yuuta after permanently ruining his larynx, he can't help but feel like this time the feeling of being misunderstood by others might last for forever.

Fandom: Jujutsu Kaisen
Ship: Yuuta/Toge
Genre: angst, hurt/comfort, unrequited love

______________________________

There is blood sitting in Toge's mouth.

The taste lingers on his tongue, along with the last curse he shouted at Getou. "Get crushed," he yelled, and it didn't work, not entirely. And now, he's barely able to keep up his own head as he watches Yuuta dash out of the school to save them.

Toge can't move to save him, the battle has rendered him unable to do as little as move. He's barely strong enough to mentally berate Yuuta for his stupid plan; Yuuta, though backed up by a special grade curse, isn't nearly strong enough of a jujutsu user to beat someone like Getou.

Even Toge's curse wasn't strong enough to send Getou under, and Toge's an experienced user. And now his voice is barely audible enough that he thinks Yuuta will be able to hear it. "Yuuta-" everything hurts. "-run-" Toge wishes he could make his voice louder. Clearer. "-away." He wishes he could infuse it with power, so maybe Yuuta would actually listen. But he can see from the corner of his eye, how a terrified Yuuta does the exact opposite of what he's asked; charging in.

Toge grinds his teeth, closing his eyes in defeat. There's nothing he can do to keep his new friend from charging with without a plan. Or maybe worse, with a stupid plan. Toge doesn't know Yuuta too well yet, he wishes he could've had more time to start knowing the guy before today's battle, because he doubts he'll get the chance. But he does know Yuuta enough to know that he's not really the type that thinks. He's more like Panda, rushing into fights, the only difference is that Panda has strength. It's impossible to kill the guy, Toge would know after sparring with him for a year or so by now.

But Yuuta. He's only human. A mortal person, like Toge and Maki.

And mortal beings who rush into things without thinking first, are the most dangerous. To themselves.

Toge's heart seems to stop when everything goes silent. Maybe the battle ground has just gotten eerily quiet for a different reason, but something inside Toge tells him the fight must be over.

Toge can only move his head slightly, even if he puts all his strength into it. His eyelids are heavy as he peers out over the ruined school ground. In the distance, two figures stand. Everything around them is, indeed, eerily quiet. Everything except for Yuuta's voice, saying the stupidest things.

He stands there, facing Rika. Talking to Rika.

"Thank you, for always protecting me-" Yuuta's voice is apologetic, nostalgic. Like he's about to do something stupid. Like he's saying Rika goodbye, forever. "Thank you for falling in love with me."

Toge has a hunch as to what Yuuta's about to do. And despite the fact that he wishes with all his might that he isn't right, he's sure he knows Yuuta well enough to be certain that the guy's stupid enough to give himself up; he's too selfless to care whether he survives this fight, as long as Maki, Panda and Toge himself do.