#50. Naruto) There Are So Many Reasons Why Uzumaki Naruto Needs His Voice

Summary: Uzumaki Naruto never shuts up.
That's why his entire team always wants him to just keep his mouth shut for a moment. But when Naruto loses his voice for an entire day, it turns out to be unsettling, boring and more annoying, and even somewhat dangerous when Naruto doesn't have his voice.

Fandom: Naruto
Ship: None
Genre: Sick-fic, Comedy, Found family

________________________________

Naruto always started off the day by saying "good morning" to his teammates. Always, every single morning. It was the only thing Sasuke could prepare for. He didn't particularly enjoy the fact that each and every morning Naruto arrived ten minutes early to wait for Sasuke and Sakura, only so he could wave, with not just his hand but his entire body, and tell them "good morning" in very bad English, and at an obnoxiously loud volume. He didn't like it, but it was the only thing that always stayed the same.

Up to today.

Even though Naruto was already standing at their usual spot when Sasuke sauntered through the streets, towards their meeting spot, Naruto wasn't acting like himself. He didn't wave, which on itself was already pretty unsettling, and he leaned against the fence in a way that didn't look comfortable and he looked exhausted; bags under his eyes and skin paler than Sasuke had ever seen it before. And the strangest thing was that he didn't even say "good morning" like he usually did.

"Good morning?" Sasuke muttered after hesitating; Naruto looked busy with something, but Sasuke had no clue with what, he just had this serious frown on his face as he stared off into the space. He seemed so busy even that he barely even reacted when Sasuke greeted him, instead he just grunted.

Sasuke wasn't quite sure what he had done, or if he'd even done anything to make this happen, but he felt like it was his fault. He'd learned from previous experiences that if Naruto acted strange, it was usually because Sasuke did something to piss Naruto off. But right now, he couldn't think of a single thing he'd done wrong; they actually had a decent training day yesterday and he couldn't recall picking a fight with Naruto, nor did he say anything to offend him. It was very unlikely that Naruto was still tired of yesterday's training since he barely ever got tired.

So, then, what was it?

"Good morning, Sasuke! Naruto!" Sakura's voice echoed through the empty street. She made a short sprint towards the two boys leaning against the fence; right beside each other but not saying a word.

Naruto, once again, barely lifted his head to look at his teammate. His voice could barely be heard as he grumbled something inaudible.

Now, it wasn't strange that Naruto got annoyed with Sasuke, it was a thing they regularly did. But for him not to greet Sakura in a proper way? Something had to be very wrong; Naruto clearly was head over heels for Sakura, so why didn't he even look at her today? It made no sense.

Sasuke looked up, his eyes meeting Sakura's. He could see right away that she just as confused as him, if not more. She took another glance at Naruto, who still hadn't taken his eyes off of the small flower that grew from the muddy street. When she looked back, her lips parted and without making a sound she mouthed, "What's going on with Naruto?".

Sasuke shrugged, giving her an expression that hopefully made it clear that he had no clue.

She seemed to take the hint, because as soon as Sasuke broke eye contact, Sakura walked over to Naruto. "So, Naruto—" She made it painfully clear that she was speaking to Naruto by extending the time she took to say his name. "—what do you think Kakashi-sensei is going to let us do today."

A shrug.

Naruto shrugged. Sasuke didn't know exactly why this pissed him off so much, but it did. Maybe it was because Naruto looked so uninterested, while he usually was the one to get everyone excited. And Sasuke couldn't do his training properly if Naruto's obnoxious personality didn't brutally force him to wake up early in the morning. Or maybe it was just because it was Sasuke's thing to shrug.