#31. Cheer Danshi - Haruki/Kazuma) Let's Break The Norm Again

Summary: Kazuma and Haruki have been friends for such a long time... but what if one of them wants more?

Fandom: Cheer Danshi
Ship: Haruki/Kazuma
Genre: Fluff

part of Shipbruary 2021!

_______________________________

Kazuma always joins Haruki when he's training on the roof. Doing tricks on the trampoline together is so much more fun than alone, that's how Kazuma sees it at least. Normally they chat a little, cheer as loud as they can while jumping up and down and doing some easy tricks, but today seems different.

Usually when they're not both extremely happy, it's Kazuma who ruins the mood, because he's struggling with his grandma's issues. But today it's Haruki who seems more shy than usual.

"You sure you don't want to try that new trick?" Kazuma asks Haruki.

Haruki stops bouncing for a moment and looks over to Kazuma. Haruki looks uncomfortable when he shrugs. "I don't know." His cheeks turn a slight tone of red, Kazuma doesn't quite know why. "It includes you throwing me in the air, doesn't it?"

Kazuma nods. Though they wouldn't normally do this trick with just the two of them, they're on the trampoline, so there's so much less that can go wrong.

"Then I don't want to do it," Haruki says, flopping down onto the trampoline so he can look up at the sky. He stays silent, not even giving a reason for why he doesn't want to try.

Kazuma lays down beside him, causing them to bounce up and down a little. He tucks his hands behind his head and gazes up at the stars. He doesn't look at Haruki when asking, "Is it the heights?"

Haruki shakes his head and states that he's gotten over that by training so much. Kazuma completely believes this as Haruki doesn't ever seem scared anymore when he has to do tricks in the air.

"Then what is it?" Kazuma turns to Haruki to see that his face has turned a brighter shade of red. Kazuma feels a little strange about it, because he has no clue what to think of it; is Haruki just sunburned from training outside all afternoon or is he ashamed.

"W-Well," Haruki mumbles. "I don't know, we've trained so much today." He swallows thickly, making it clear that he's actually lying to Kazuma. "I'm tired."

Kazuma nods, because he doesn't want to bother Haruki by asking more than needed, but it doesn't feel right since he knows Haruki's lying. Something is bothering his best friend and he doesn't trust Kazuma with it, which kind of hurts him deep down.

They lay there in silence for way too long, but eventually Haruki seems to realize that it frustrates Kazuma that he's not speaking the truth. Haruki turns on his side, Kazuma can feel his eyes looking at him when Haruki admits that it's something else that's going on.

"Really?" Kazuma asks. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"I-I've been wondering—" Haruki's voice is soft and trembling a little when he asks, "—If you maybe would like to-to—never mind." Haruki turns away.

Kazuma looks at his shy friend, even someone as gentle and shy as Haruki usually doesn't act like this around Kazuma; he knows his presence can be overwhelming to some people, but it never seemed to bother Haruki up to this point. Kazuma had always considered himself to be Haruki's safe-haven, Haruki could be himself around Kazuma just like they could the other way around, but apparently Haruki doesn't see it that way.

"What's going on, Haruki?" Kazuma asks him. "You really are acting strange."

Haruki's shaking causes the trampoline to go up and down and his face is a bright red when he finally manages to look at Kazuma again. His mouth opens slightly, and Kazuma gets a flashback from a long time ago. It's one that'd been long forgotten, but it went about the same as now.

Haruki and Kazuma were still so young back then, it must've been at least ten years ago if not more. They'd gone to some trampoline park. They were bouncing around until finally Haruki claimed that he was too tired. They'd laid down on the trampoline for a long time when Haruki suddenly whispers something extremely strange out of the blue.

Kazuma never really took his friend serious when he said that he wanted to marry Kazuma. It came out of nowhere, but they were still so young that Kazuma just laughed and jokily replied that he'd like that too. He'd always considered Haruki his best and closest friend, and who wouldn't want to spend their entire life with someone they care for so much?

Now that they're lying in the exact same position on a different trampoline underneath the starlit sky, Kazuma slowly starts to connect the dots. Haruki's extremely awkward, and well, who wouldn't say lying underneath the starlit sky would be an amazing time for a romantic confession.

Kazuma looks at Haruki, who's struggling to find the right words, and when he eventually closes his mouth after whispering that it's nothing important, Kazuma actually feels disappointed.

Do I want him to say it so badly? He wonders as he closes his eyes briefly. Why?

Kazuma turns to Haruki, and without thinking he asks, "Would you, maybe, like to dance with me?"

It's a strange request, but maybe something as odd as this will make Haruki feel more comfortable about doing the wanted confession. Dancing isn't too bad, right?

Haruki gets even more flustered, Kazuma had no clue this is even possible. Fortunately Haruki does eventually say "yes". Kazuma's glad about this, it would've been very awkward otherwise.

They get on their feet and soon after some sort of awkward bouncy dance begins. Kazuma hums, because there's no music and Haruki giggles at the voice cracks he has whenever they bounce.

They twirl and bounce and chuckle, with their hands holding each other. It's funny, rather than romantic, as they eventually spin around so much that they're both too dizzy to stand.

Kazuma falls onto the floor, Haruki collapsing right on top of him.

They're both laughing, Kazuma feels Haruki's chest jolting against his as they laugh. But they both go silent when their eyes meet. Kazuma feels something inside is heart, like it's getting warmer as it beats faster and faster, and he knows Haruki can feel it too.

"Do you want to break the norm together?" Kazuma asks with a smirk.

Haruki's cheeks get red and he stutters when asking Kazuma what he means with that.

Kazuma shrugs. It feels absurd and surreal when he leans closer to Haruki and kisses him. He never would've, ever, thought he'd kiss his best friend, but it just feels right now. He feels like Haruki wants it too, and he wants it just as much, so he just puts his lips on his best friend's.

When their lips part, Haruki looks all flustered but there's a smile on his face.

Kazuma smiles and whispers, "What I mean is—" He hugs Haruki tightly so he can carefully whisper it in his ear. It feels strange when he asks it, but he really wants it; to break the norm with his best friend over and over again. "—do you want to be my boyfriend, Haruki?"