#51. Banana Fish) If You're Still Breathing, You're The Lucky Ones

Summary: Aslan, a young soldier fighting in the same war, gets injured when searching for a medic to save his older brother from a fatal shot wound. He couldn't be more glad when he's found by Eiji. Aslan, though breathing, doesn't consider himself and his brother lucky. He's injured and tired, and he need someone who can save a life.
He needs Eiji.

Fandom: Banana Fish
Ship: None
Genre: War, Angst

________________________________

Authorsnote:

Hey There!

I'm just going to take a moment and warn you about the blood and violence in this fic.
Other than that, it's a little bit sad and angsty, so if you do not enjoy that you shouldn't read this fic.

Having said that, let's begin ^^
Have fun!

~ Noa

____________________________________

The night sky used to be Eiji's favorite thing in life; he used to love looking up at the sky and count the stars. He'd try naming them and made wishes when seeing one of them falling to the Earth.

His wishes never game true, though. Otherwise he wouldn't be here, in Iraq, kilometers away from home. He wouldn't be here, seeing so many people die on a daily basis, just because he chose to go to medical school after getting his leg injured during pole vaulting. He chose that road because he wanted to safe people, he didn't expect himself to be running through a battle field wearing bulletproof clothes and a first aid kit to try and safe soldiers that are already for beyond saving.

He was one of the many people who were called to Iraq when the battle went on for so long that the United States had lost too many of their initial trauma surgeons; they needed other countries help, including Japan and its best all-round medical students. Eiji, unfortunately, was one of those. So, when the letter came, Eiji knew he had to go and safe people; he was given little choice.

He had to leave his family behind, and the hospital he worked at the time, so he could serve the American army as a trauma surgeon and combat medic without even having handled a gun once.

Wishes upon a star don't safe you from that, he knows that now.

He glares up at the sky to see the stars he used to love. A yawn escapes from his mouth; he hasn't slept in days. Every bone in his body is hurting, especially his leg, which isn't doing great ever since he accidently slipped and fell down a slope. He's running on empty, or maybe even less than that.

I just wish I could close my eyes, for one second. He thinks to himself, as he saunters through the muddy forest looking for survivors of a recent shoot-out. All he found so far are bodies, though.

The ground underneath him is so muddy, it almost swallows his foot whole; the bullets that reached the forest grounds caused great instability, that along with rain makes for a dangerous ground to be walking on. But he doesn't have much choice if he actually wants to be of help for once.

"Is anyone out there?" He shouts after scanning the forest for armed soldiers that may shoot him, but there's no one to be found. No one, except for the dark silhouette of a disfigured body in the distance.

There's no response, as Eiji expected, just the sound of rustling leafs.

He takes a deep breath before repeating, "Is anyone still alive?"

It may just be Eiji's eyes deceiving him, but he swears the body in the distance moves just a little. It's not because of the wind, because it's not strong enough to do that, and there are no animals nearby.