#68. Haikyuu - BokuAka) Crossed Words

Summary:
Akaashi gets hurt during a match, twisting his ankle because his hyperactive teammate didn't register that Akaashi was his way before he jumped. With waiting hours at the hospital being ridiculous, Bokuto's starting to get bored out of his mind.
That is, until he steals himself a crossword to make.

Fandom: Haikyuu
Ship: BokuAka
Genre: Fluff, Hurt/Comfort

_______________________

"I stole us a crossword puzzle!" Bokuto's voice chimes through the hall with terrible acoustics.

"Huh?" Akaashi looked up from his lap. They were just waiting in the ER, as you do after you've potentially done more than simply twisted your ankle when you had to step aside for your hyperactive teammate, when Bokuto suddenly stood up with a sigh. He had told Akaashi he needed to take a leak. That was at least fifteen minutes ago. Never had Bokuto mentioned a book filled with puzzles, just the bathroom, so Akaashi had started to get worried that Bokuto had gotten lost while trying to find the bathroom. Even though there's a big blue sign hanging within Akaashi's sight; it would've been hard to miss, but Bokuto's still Bokuto, so it wouldn't have been a surprise if he'd actually missed the big blue sign. But that appears to not have been the case.

Instead, Bokuto walks back to Akaashi's make-shift room in the ER, smiling wide as he swings the little book with puzzles above his head. "They just laid there, downstairs." Bokuto flops down on the hospital bed right up against Akaashi. "I couldn't resist," he says, folding open the puzzle book.

Akaashi smiles gently, on the inside. He's glad that Bokuto's not pouting anymore; apologizing consistently for jumping in front of Akaashi, causing Akaashi to have to step back even though he knew he wasn't going to be able to get his footing right. And Akaashi was right, he didn't catch his weight right as he made the sudden step back; because of Bokuto's clumsiness his ankle is now swollen and blue. And he had to step out of an official match so they could ice his ankle before it swell up too much. Keeping it cold wasn't enough, though; within seconds his ankle was swelling up so badly that their coach had to make the call; Akaashi needed to go to the hospital.

With ambulance and all, Akaashi was driven to the hospital. And Bokuto, of course, insisted on stepping out of the game as well. Akaashi called him stupid for it, but Bokuto didn't give in.

"I'm not worthy of playing anymore!" he'd dramatically told Akaashi, literal tears in his eyes as if the world was going to end because of a stupid mistake. Bokuto made mistakes all the time; if the world would actually seize to exist if something like this happened, Earth would've exploded a long long time ago.

Anyway, the point being, Akaashi's really glad that Bokuto has calmed down by now. It has taken him a good hour to get himself together. Just as it has taken the doctors and nurses well over an hour to come and take a look at Akaashi's ankle, because more severe emergencies keep dropping in. It's probably going to take even longer, if Akaashi's to believe some other teammates and rivals who'd been to the ER with minor injuries like his; he's heard horror stories about people spending an uncomfortable ten hours in the ER before even seeing someone with knowledge about their injury.

Akaashi hopes that won't be the case this time, but seeing as it could be, it's probably a good thing that Bokuto got something to keep himself amused.

Bokuto scratches his chin, furrowing his brow as he stares at the puzzle on the first page. Bokuto would usually hate these types of games; teacher often hand them out during the last classes of a term so they can practice for their exams. Bokuto always struggles with them; he gives up too easily. Comes across two hard words he doesn't know straight away, and is discouraged.

But now, he seems completely invested in the crossword puzzle.

He's just that bored.

Akaashi almost chuckles at it; Bokuto's so bored after just a little over an hour at the ER that he would rather make a puzzle marketed towards kids than wait another second without any amusement.