Chapter 3. The Tale of the Three Oni Masks

I had to take some artistic freedom and change some details about Oni Power and the Oni Masks. Hope that doesn't bother anyone :)

--------------

"-The battle was fierce and even I came close to being destroyed by the Oni Power, but eventually we were able to banish the Oni from Ninjago. Peace and balance were finally restored and I was able to focus on making this world the home of a beautiful nation."

"Holy moly!" Little Morro let out, smiling up at his grandfather in awe. He bounced on the mattress of Lloyd's bed, filled with excitement. "That was awesome! Tell it again!"

The Emperor chuckled and gave his grandson a gentle smile. "Maybe another time, Morro."

It was then that Lloyd spoke up, his giant emerald eyes gazing down. "Grandpapa, where did the Oni go after being defeated?"

"That I unfortunately do not know," the grandfather sighed. "All I know is that the Oni left some signs of their time in this realm, one of them being the Oni Mask of Hatred."

"The Only Mask of Hay Bread?" Morro asked, tilting his head.

"The Oni Mask of Hatred," the Emperor said more clearly. "One of the three Oni Masks that has its unique features and is hidden deep in the only uncharted jungle in Ninjago. It is extremely dangerous and should not be used by anyone. And most of all, the three masks should never be united."

"Why not?" Morro asked curiously.

The grandfather hummed. "That is a story for another night."

"Aw man!" Morro whined and lay down. "I won't be able to sleep before you tell me!"

Lloyd, fiddling with his hands, looked up at his grandfather in wonder. "What if someone used an Oni mask? What would happen?"

"Bad things, Lloyd, very bad things. The Oni Masks are relics of evil and can turn even the brightest heart dark," the grandfather responded. "But, we don't have to worry about that. Not many can access the Oni Masks, let alone find them. It is very unlikely for the Oni or the Oni Masks to ever become a threat to us."

Lloyd nodded, receiving a smile from the Emperor.

"Worry not, my little gem, this realm is safe from danger as long as the balance remains and our family stays here to protect the empire."

The little prince cracked a smile which only widened when his cousin wiggled impatiently next to him.

"I want another story, Grandpapa!" Morro whined, messing up his already messy hair.

"There will be another night and another bedtime story tomorrow, my little hurricane. Now, say goodnight to your cousin."

Morro sighed in defeat, got up and fiercely tackled little Lloyd in a rib-breaking hug. "Good night, lil' cuzzie!"

Lloyd let out a squeal of slight discomfort, but smiled all the same. "Good night."

Once the Emperor and Morro had left to make their ways into their own bed chambers, Lloyd turned to gaze out of the big windows at the night sky outside. The sky was aglow with the canopy of twinkling stars, though overshadowed by the magnificent moon that shared its luminous, white light to all of the realm.

Lloyd's mind was boggling from the tale of the Oni and he could not stop imagining tall, horned beasts marching somewhere out there, waiting to attack once more. He really hoped his grandfather was right in saying they were safe from the Oni. From what Lloyd could make out of the story, the Oni were not the ones to meddle with.

Hopefully the topic would never come up again.

🐉-☯️-🐉

"Uncle Wu! Hutchins!" Lloyd exclaimed, staring at his uncle and the Master-At-Arms in disbelief.