17

Steve dodged twin bolts of electricity from Livewire. Steve sighed under his breath the day had started out so normally, a few major bank robberies and Luthor's campaign to become the next president of the United States. Honestly, he didn't know how to feel about that last one. Then the League scanners found Kalaback and several other villains belonging to Superman wreaking havoc throughout Metropolis, Weather Wizard, Kalaback, Toyman, and Metallo.

Steve had read their files. Weather Wizard would be the easiest to deal with all that had to be done was get his controller from him and then he'd be as normal as Batman. The others were another problem. Metallo meant that until the kryptonite powering him was removed Superman was effectively benched. So Steve had been asked to deal with him. But just as most of the villains had been incapacitated. Toyman started firing some sort of energy cannon all willy-nilly in his attempts to get Superman.

Steve was helping Dinana get the fallen rubble off of her when the cannon turned toward them. "NO!" Steve heard Superman shout before the cannon fired.

And when the light faded and the dust settled... Superman was gone. "Superman go bye-bye," Toyman said as rain began to pour over the silence that had settled over Metropolis. It was like someone had sucked the life out of Metropolis at that very moment.

What felt like hours later when in reality it was only a few minutes, Diana destroyed Toyman's machine. Steve managed to stop Diana from killing Toyman. "We don't do that to our enemies," steve gently told her as he gripped her wrist.

"Speak for yourself," Diana growled as she prepared to strike.

"I'm trying to speak for Superman," Steve calmly told her.

With that Diana threw Toyman down and the mournful silence returned to the city.

Three days later Superman's funeral was being held at Metropolis Memorial Cathidral in Downtown Metropolis. Steve sat in the Watch Tower with a heavy heart as he prepared for the funeral and internment of Superman. This situation as a whole stabbed a knife into Steve's heart and it didn't just twist it it shredded it. Batman though he didn't show it, Steve knew was taking the news the hardest. Batman had been the closest member in the League to Superman the two literally getting along so well that if Steve didn't know that Superman had been interested in the one Louis Lane he'd suspect that something else was going on between the two.

During the funeral Steve sat with the rest of the League as J'onn read Superman's ulogy to the crowd of mourners. Then it came time for the procession to Superman's internment sight.

 Steve walked behind Shiera as they walked down Main Street which was packed full of mourners who'd come to wish Superman one last farewell. 

Once everything was over, Steve remained on Earth as the rest of the League returned to the Watchtower. Steve had a bad feeling about what was to come concerning the criminal underground.

Sure enough not even an hour after the funeral was over there was a mass jail break from Striker's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Superman woke up with a groan in what appeared to be the middle of the desert on a planet with a Red Sun and it's moon destroyed. "Hello!" Superman shouted out into the desert before putting a hand to his comm, "Superman to Justice League. Look's like we've been transported to a planet with a red sun. My power's aren't working. I'm picking up your homing beacon, but I'm not getting any audio. I'll leave this channel open and attempt to move closer to your position".

Superman then began to gather rope, gas cans,  car batteries, gas, cable, tool boxes, water, what little food there was, newspapers, even a few spare tires before getting a move on towards the homing beacon. Several months later after much trail and tribulation he finally managed to get to the sight of the homing beacon. Only for his heart to stop when he came upon the site... it was the Watch Tower.