Heaven, it feels not

Start from the beginning

Mammon glared at the nucleated cottages. Painted pastel. Swinging baskets of outreaching flowers. Did God not love him, like he loved the ones inside? Men who patted on the back? Women who gifted bread? Frolicking children in daisy crowns? Was he not, a child of God?

The raven-haired landed. His wings rammed the lush ground before arriving closed to his back. He went a step. A reticent cottage, left white. Oval cobble stones whisking to create him a path—rather, a dog. It galloped out, tongue faster than the tawny legs it had. His eyes went out curved. "Otto!"

His furry friend leaped on him, as though it was with wings instead. Mammon was decked to the grass, and he wanted to laugh. But, the shrill sound of Luka pulling his last breath installed in his ears, like the dog on his stomach.

A smiling aproned woman peeked over the panting dog, a plum whirl of her hair cascading to him. Otto jumped off, rounding beside the mature woman.

"Ma..."

Caira peered down at him, sky copying the circular lakes. "This reminds me of when I found you that day...the only difference, is that you don't have chocolate on your face."

Mammon tottered to his feet, and collapsed on her as a hug. "Ma..."

Her fingers hunted through his black hair, perchance to find the reason for his despair. He wrapped his arms tighter around her shoulders, teary set of eyes rambling until they centred on a girl. The wooden door, owning a domed peak, held her upright. Short chestnut hair, wispy like cirrus clouds, but showered her shoulders. Upturned green eyes, as though leaves were cut and affixed. His grasp diluted.

He hated how he could find a piece of his lover everywhere.

"This is my daughter, Lucia." The woman smiled, fixing a hand on her shoulder before staring at her. "Can you go water the tomato plants?"

She nodded and began to amble in her long puff sleeved dress, casting a lost glance at the raven-haired who had already sauntered in. Her neat brows threw together. Who was he?

Hickory floating steps coupled to the beige wall preceding them, a large cedar bookshelf near the steps. To his left were washed counters up until the wall took to a hallway. Bags reclined and a coat rack was on top. Mammon trod right on the rectangular rug, behind his mother as he went up the few steps to the kitchen. Each corner his eyes bumped to, had stocky potted plants. "You used to tell me I had a sister in Heaven..."

"And now you met her."

The raven-haired drew out a chair from the angular dining table. "Did you...really think I was gonna' go to Heaven?"

"At first, no." Caira laughed, putting on red oven gloves. "When I...came here, they told me about the Bellatores...and I had hope."

Mammon flattened the page on the striped red table. He thumbed the bag, something gnawing at him to open it, but he couldn't. It didn't feel right just yet.

"How did you know to come here?"

"This."

She placed the steaming muffin tray on a metal rack, taking off her gloves to pick it up. "I...recognise this writing."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Luka...," the woman mumbled, frowning.

"How..."

"When I first came here, he was the one to bring me my baby." Caira looked up from the paper, sadness ponderous in her eyes. "I had heard he was chosen to be a guardian angel, but he wasn't just a guardian angel...was he?"

"No...," the raven-haired choked out, fingers rubbing at his temples. "God, he was my everything. I never cared about a thing, but when he came in, I could...see the joy in everything."

She drew an red upholstered chair, and seated herself beside him.

"Di'you...feel like this too?"

The woman with plum brown hair inspired a breath in. "Do you remember when you lost that book, the one you would always read at night?"

He nodded his head slowly.

"Everyday you would turn over the house for it. I told you I could buy you a new one, but you didn't want a new one." She picked a halved nut off of the swollen top of the chocolate muffin. "I let you continue to look for it, because I knew what it meant to lose something."

Mammon looked away, jaw quivering as his mother planted her hand on his. "Don't try to find other books. Let the words you once read dissolve in your mind. Grieve the loss, keep looking, and then maybe...you can find another."

He stood up abruptly, "I...have one more place to go to. I'll be back soon, Ma."

Caira offered an understanding nod, exchanging his hand for her arm, whilst her son spun.

"Mammon, It's okay if you don't ever stop looking," she called out behind him, and he halted. "I know I didn't."

𓆩♡𓆪 𓆩 𓂋 𓆪 𓆩♡𓆪

The dank air around him twirled a shade, feeling his confusion when he deplaned. It was peerless; the one place he had seen that had weather not agnate. Fog, as if he was gazing through a dirty pane. Wintry rain fell slight from the milky sky and senior trees glared with many phthalo green eyes. Wet grass squelched under his sandalled feet as Mammon stared at the marble gazebo. This was where Luka spent his time, he thought. It was plain to a rich man, sculpted designs only at the top and bottom of the columns holding the mounded roof. Thin striations of black covered the marble. He ducked under, his wings shaking off.

Mammon settled carefully against a smooth column, eyes scrutinising before withdrawing the wizened page. The raven-haired wondered, toying with the sheet, if Luka had ever brought that demon here. He chided himself, that he should have had credence in his love, but the scenes continued to actuate.

"You have searched for me too. In this demon you found comfort, because he reminded you of me."

"I didn't want to admit it..."

Mammon recalled the night his lover had told him about a man, a man that looked like him. The raven-haired kneaded his jaw. God, he should have known.

Thudding rain hoped to smother the voice in his ear as he untied the bag from the coated belt. He held it up, allowing his core to open it before he did. What did Luka wish to give him? Mammon pried the net with his nails before rooting out whatever was inside. A mint notebook, and a ring. His ring. Silver tensioned bands, a diamond in the middle with dried blood on it. He angled it, the engraving inside staring back.

A chuckle left his throat as he read before it changed to a sob. Tears sluiced down his face for the first time in a long while. He hid his face. Flies revolted in his stomach, and his head went against the pillar.

I'll love you forever.