Chapter 33 - Scattered puzzles

"Do you hear me? Hello? Jungkook?" you waved your hand in front of his eyes, but it didn't do anything. He looked as if he had just turned into a statue. But you weren't Medusa; you were just a woman in need who, quite unexpectedly, but not too pushy, asked him for help.
Because that's exactly what you needed right now. You didn't want to go back home. Not for anything in the world.

But for him, it wasn't just a simple plea for help. It was like an ambush, a sudden and precise attack. An event that threw him off balance and turned all plans upside down. He stood there, like transformed into stone, though his heart felt like it was about to burst out of his chest. You couldn't know what was happening in his mind at that moment, but how could you? His big plans were more complex than the blueprints of the underground chambers of the pyramids in Egypt.

"Besides, you won't be seeing much of me anyway. I'm overwhelmed with work, and when I'm not..."

"Don't you have a home?"

It was like an explosion of an atomic bomb.

Jungkook snapped back to reality as soon as he realized he had spoken his thoughts aloud - thoughts, that had been boiling in his mind. His words sounded so cold, that they sent shivers down his own spine. Shame and guilt washed over him instantly, but it was a little too late.
The last trace of a smile vanished from your face. And that was what he regretted the most.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay," you replied, clearing your throat. "You're right. I have a home. I didn't mean to intrude. I asked you to give me a ride to Lotte, and you brought me here."

He cursed under his breath. "I blurted out something stupid. I was just... wondering what the reason was that..." He got a bit lost in his thoughts. He was well aware that attempting to explain himself wasn't the best idea, so he decided to change tactics. After all, things couldn't get any worse.
He brushed aside a strand of hair, that was covering your face. You looked at him uncertainly, tilting your head a little. He gently lifted your chin so you couldn't avoid his gaze again.
"Ye Rim, what happened? I should have asked you about it right away. I wanted to wait for you to tell me on your own. You didn't, and now you've just caught me off guard. I really should have asked you about it..."

"Jun is pregnant with Namjoon's child."

Another atomic bomb exploded in the room.

Koo opened his eyes wide. He had expected that maybe you had a rough week, perhaps had a fight with your closest friend, or maybe a project at work didn't go well, and you just needed to reset. But he never expected you to drop such news on him.

His mind was even more chaotic now. A thousand questions he wanted to ask the leader of his team: when and how, and why, how could something like this even happen? But a much bigger question kept swirling in his mind. "What does it have to do with you?" he asked quietly.

His question took you by surprise. You just informed him, that Namjoon was going to have a child. It was news, that would be talked about all over Korea, even the whole world, and yet he wanted to know what it had to do with you. You blinked a few times.
"It was me who told Joon about it. Jun will never forgive me."

Jungkook pulled you close to him, embracing tightly. Everything else had to be put aside for now. Explanations, further questions, and arrangements could wait. Nothing else mattered at this moment. He held you tightly, and you buried your face in his chest. In truth, neither of you knew if it was the right move, but in that moment, it just felt so natural.
"Everything will be fine. We'll figure everything out somehow," he reassured you.

He had no idea what would happen next, but despite that, his words brought a bit of solace. You were terribly tired, and his arms were your safe haven in that moment.