"Hi, am I able to please see Anna?" I questioned, wiping my sweaty palms on my sweatshirt.

Gia chewed on her bottom lip, nodding, gesturing me in. I poked my head around the corner, my eyes lighting up when they settled on Anna. She was looking straight at me, a sad smile plastered on her face.

"Hey, can I please talk to you?" I asked, and after a few seconds of contemplating, she nodded, getting up from the couch. Making her way over to me, she headed for the door, thanking Gia.

"If you want to come back after and finish your girl time you're more than welcome to," I told Anna, causing her to nod. It seemed as if she was really enjoying herself with Gia.

I followed her out of the house, and Gia shut the door behind us, but not before sending me a small hopeful smile. I could tell that she was really rooting for Anna and I. I was just hoping that this conversation was going to go well.

I led her away from Gia's house, wanting to do this in private. I didn't want anyone listening in and making either of us feel awkward.

"Let's go over here," I told her, wheeling myself down the small hill, parking myself by a bed of tulips. They were dying, looking crispy and wilting almost down to the ground, matching my mood. The pack surroundings weren't looking overly uplifting at the moment.

Anna followed me, perching down by the flowers, gazing at me. The sun had set, but there was plenty of light around the pack, lanterns hung from most houses and shining lampposts dotted around the place. Although we had good vision and they weren't necessary, it added to the ambiance and looked pretty.

"Okay," I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "I understand that you're upset with me, and I don't blame you."

I hadn't prepared a speech or anything, and I was wracking my brain, thinking about what the best thing to say was. I wanted this to come across as genuine and not rehearsed. I wanted to speak from the heart.

"Amelia means absolutely nothing to me, Anna. You're the one. You're the one I want."

Anna sighed, wrapping her arms around herself. It was apparent that she was cold.

"Here," I quickly said, peeling my sweatshirt over my head and passing it to her, nodding at her to put it on. She did, trying to hide her smile as she snuggled into it, already looking a lot happier.

"Thank you."

"I don't know how to explain how much you mean to me, Anna. My heart physically hurts that I've caused you this pain, and I'm so so sorry. My life meant nothing until you walked into it and gave it meaning." I could feel tears begin to well up in my eyes, and I tried my hardest to blink them away. I didn't want Anna to think that I was trying to manipulate her with tears, because that was far from the case.

Hopefully her human vision wouldn't pick up on it.

"Jared," Anna whispered, cupping my cheeks and looking at me with a sorrowful expression. "I know I mean a lot to you. I know I do, but it hurts knowing that I was sent to you as some backup option. A part of me feels like we weren't born to be with each other, because you had her first."

I inhaled deeply, shaking my head. "No, we were born to be with each other. Amelia was a huge mistake. The Moon Goddess fucked up. I haven't known you long but I already know that I want to be with you for the rest of my life. You're my mate, Anna."

It was Anna's turn to cry, and she laughed, shaking her head and sniffling, wiping at her nose. The laugh scared me, a part of me wondering if she was doing it because she didn't agree with my words. Maybe there was a chance that she didn't feel the same way that I felt towards her. That would kill me.

I knew that because of the fact that she was human, there was a chance that the bond wasn't as strong for her. We couldn't exactly measure it, but the idea was there that humans couldn't feel it to the same severity as werewolves could.

"This is just all too much, Jared," Anna whispered, shaking her head. "I'm on the run from my Father, I'm worried about my Mother's safety, some crazy girl wants to kill me, and I found out that my boyfriend is a werewolf."

"Boyfriend?" I questioned, the word standing out, causing Anna to blush.

"I didn't...I meant...," she stuttered, dropping her gaze and picking at the grass, huffing to herself.

"Anna, I'm more than happy to be your boyfriend," I told her, raising my brows, hopeful.

Anna widened her eyes, and gulped. Her silence was killing me, and she shut her eyes, running her hands through her brunette locks. "I don't know if I can, Jared."

That sentence broke me, and I felt my heart immediately shatter. My hands shook, and I inhaled deeply, blowing a gust of air out into the darkness.

"I want you, Jared, but I don't know if I'm cut out for this world. It's just way too much for me to handle. It feels like I'm about to explode. I feel like I don't belong here. I'm a human and you are all werewolves."

"I know, I know," I said, wrapping my arm over her shoulder and pulling her to me. She immediately wrapped her arms around me, crying. "You'll be okay, I promise."

"I'm just so scared. I don't want to hurt you, but I don't know what to do. I don't know how much more of this I can take," Anna's voice cracked, and I pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head.

"We will always protect you. Amelia nor your Father will touch you."

I understood how hard this was for a human to deal with. Not only did she find out she was mated to me, but she was being cruelly hunted down by two people who wanted to torment her and cause her misery. She lived in fear everyday. It wasn't fair.

"I can give you time to adjust. I know how hard it is," I told her, nodding once. I couldn't be selfish. This was Anna's call.

"What is she going to do to me?" Anna asked, the fear evident in her voice.

"Nothing," I told her, cupping her face. "Absolutely nothing. Understand me? She isn't going to get near you. Neither is your Father. We will get all of this sorted, okay?"

"You mean so much to me," Anna spoke, another tear falling from her eye. "I don't want you thinking I don't want you Jared. I'm just so frightened."

We needed to sort Amelia and her Father out first. We weren't going to label anything right now. She was still my mate, and I knew that she cared for me, but she was overwhelmed right now. Her brain was working on overdrive. She needed some time.

"Can we go home?" Anna questioned, and I nodded, taking her hand in mine.

"Are you still happy staying at the house I've rented?" I asked, raising a brow.

Anna nodded, looking sheepish. "Yes. It's the only place I really feel safe."

"Alright, we'll let's-

Suddenly, I was cut off by my phone ringing, and I looked down to see an unknown number was calling me. Anna urged me to answer it, and I grumbled, putting it to my ear.

"Hello? Who is this?"

•••

Who is it?

Read ahead on my patreon:

patreon.com/Loveme105

The link can also be found in my bio!

Please vote if you enjoyed!