Birdie!!!

No response. You growled, annoyed and beginning to feel a bit panicked, for the footsteps were coming closer.

Birdie! Bird, come on! I need your help!

An elf?

You started, amazed that the bird would actually respond. Overcome with joy and panic, you replied hurriedly, What? No, I'm not an elf. But I need your help. See those two elves? I need you to distract them. Please. It's kinda life or death or be put in a dungeon for the rest of your life kinda thing.

You are different. But I will not turn down an innocent being. We are all living things, after all.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!

A sudden loud squawk sounded overhead, and a mighty bird swooped down from a nearby tree. It looked at least the size of an eagle, maybe twice the size. It swooped out of view, but you still heard the startled exclamations on the two elves. You nudged Legolas who had stopped ahead of you.

"Go!" you whispered.

He leaped to his feet and sprung down the small hill before them, disappearing out of sight. You followed him as quickly as you could, knowing that the elves could spot you any second. You dived behind a nearby bush, breathing hard, and realised that Legolas was beside you, peeking over the top of the bush. Aragorn and Gimli followed close behind, skidding to a stop and dropping to a crouch. You peeked over the bush, eager to see what was happening. The great bird was swooping on the elves, pecking them and letting out mighty cries of triumph. The elves drew their bows, preparing to shoot.

Run! Your job is done; we're safe!

The bird hesitated, giving the elves a free shot. They shot, and one of the arrows grazed the bird's wing. It let out a cry of pain, then turned around and fled.

Thank you, birdie.

Now you must fly, whispered the bird.

You turned to Aragorn. "We need to go, quickly," you whispered.

Aragorn looked to Legolas, and Legolas nodded, staring at you in an odd way. "You did that, didn't you?" he murmured.

Embarrassed, you nodded. He stared a moment longer, then turned and jogged down the hill stealthily. You and the others followed, you all the while wondering why Legolas was so confusing and closed up.

A few minutes later you all came to a halt, you and Gimli panting heavily. Aragorn was panting a little, while Legolas seemed perfectly fine, if not a little excited. They'd stopped behind a small hill that sloped down before them, and a medium, elegant bridge lay before them. At the end of the bridge lay the Woodland elves' kingdom, its walls made of smooth stone. It seemed to be part of the large mountain that was before them; it looked as if it melted into the mountain, the entrance the only visible part of the kingdom. You peered over the ledge beside Legolas, intrigued in the view. Everything seemed to be more alive closer to the kingdom: the trees were greener and less dead and twisted, even there were more birds and animals. Small shrubs sprouted here and there, decorating the rough terrain. You found it oddly beautiful. You spared Legolas a quick glance, and was surprised to see a twinge of longing in his blue eyes. Of course, this had been his former home. Of course he'd miss it. Living with his friends would mean everything to him, but the woods were like home to him and it would feel natural instead of living in the walls of Minas Tirith.

Legolas seemed to snap out of his trance and he turned to the rest of the small group. "We go straight through, request a speech with my father, then we'll see what happens then."